Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd July 2012, 02:52 AM
jwele Offline

linuxfirefox
Codec Pack - Good Bad Ugly

Codec Pack Rat - A/V and Flash-Plugin Codec Pack!

This installs all gstreamer plugins and other restricted Audio/Video plugins from rpmfusion to enable playback of those pesky propriety non-OTB formats.

Also now downloads/installs Latest version of Adobe Flash plugin for your architecture =)

Supported Distributions:

Fedora 15+
32/64 Bit Compatibility
Untested: Fedora Pre-Release versions but code should work to best of my knowledge

Download from attachment below.
Attached Files
File Type: gz CodecPackRat.tar.gz (2.6 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by jwele; 24th July 2012 at 05:21 AM. Reason: Added Flash-Plugin installer and minor optimization.
Old 23rd July 2012, 02:57 AM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox
Re: Codec Pack - Good Bad Ugly

Moved to programming until it's in final release form. Then we park it in the guides section. <....>
Old 23rd July 2012, 04:12 AM
marko Online

linuxfirefox

It would be nicer if that script wasn't hardcoded to only work for 15,16,17 and 18 (rawhide). In no time, fedora 19 will be rawhide and so on and the script will break. Personally the way I'd do that would be test if the installation has the fedora-release package or the fedora-release-rawhide package:

Code:
rc = subprocess.call(["rpm", "-q", "fedora-release-rawhide"])

rpmfusion = ["yum", "-y", "install", "--nogpgcheck"]   # note, "localinstall" is deprecated, "install" is fine
if rc == 1:
    rpmfusion.append("http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-{0}.noarch.rpm".format("stable"))
    rpmfusion.append("http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-{0}.noarch.rpm".format("stable"))
else:
    rpmfusion.append("http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-{0}.noarch.rpm".format("rawhide"))
    rpmfusion.append("http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-{0}.noarch.rpm".format("rawhide"))
Then just do the install of the rpmfusion repository using the 'rpmfusion' list created above, it won't need that long if elif statement any more:
Code:
subprocess.call(rpmfusion, shell=True)
Another improvement would be to move the os.getuid() != 0 test to the very start of the script since you don't want to do anything but print and exit if the getuid() is not 0.

Last edited by marko; 23rd July 2012 at 04:30 AM. Reason: localinstall is obsolete, "install" is fine now
Old 23rd July 2012, 04:34 AM
jwele Offline

linuxfirefox

Thanks MarkoI really appreciate the help. This is my first python script so I could use any and all comments to fix it up.
Old 23rd July 2012, 05:23 AM
marko Online

linuxfirefox

file with changes
Attached Files
File Type: txt install_rpmfusion.txt (1,005 Bytes, 82 views)
Old 23rd July 2012, 07:25 AM
jwele Offline

linuxfirefox

Fixed major bugs, expect flash plugin installer tomorrow.

Last edited by jwele; 23rd July 2012 at 07:29 AM.
Old 23rd July 2012, 07:47 AM
Bazu135 Offline

linuxfirefox

Asking out of curiosity; does this install anything beyond what Autoplus provides?
Old 23rd July 2012, 08:00 AM
jwele Offline

macossafari

I have yet to try Autoplus but this will download all gstreamer(good,bad,ugly,ffmpeg) codecs so you can watch the proprietary audio/video formats. At least I never run into a DVD or music file I can't play. I am adding flash-plugin installer tomorrow. Try it out! I just did 3 fresh installs on 3 different computers to ensure it works. Anything special you would like it to install? I can add it to my todo list if so. =)

Last edited by jwele; 23rd July 2012 at 08:03 AM.
Old 23rd July 2012, 04:09 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

There is another issue.

Fedora and rpmfusion switch over their rawhide repos at different times in the development cycle.

Fedora switches over right before the alpha release, rpmfusion switches over right before the final release.

So, if you are running a Fedora alpha or beta, it's not rawhide in Fedora, but still rawhide in rpmfusion.

So, the checks to determine a rawhide version won't work if you happen to be running a alpha or beta pre-release version of fedora.
Old 24th July 2012, 04:18 AM
jwele Offline

macossafari

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBelton View Post
There is another issue.

Fedora and rpmfusion switch over their rawhide repos at different times in the development cycle.

Fedora switches over right before the alpha release, rpmfusion switches over right before the final release.

So, if you are running a Fedora alpha or beta, it's not rawhide in Fedora, but still rawhide in rpmfusion.

So, the checks to determine a rawhide version won't work if you happen to be running a alpha or beta pre-release version of fedora.
Won't the stable installs be just fine on alpha and beta releases?

---------- Post added at 08:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 AM ----------

Flash-Plugin installer added!
Old 24th July 2012, 04:22 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

No.

If you have a Fedora alpha or beta, then you need to use the rpmfusion rawhide repo. It switches over to the regular rpmfusion repo just before the final release.

I keep hoping they will change rpmfusion to the same switchover schedule that Fedora has now, but so far they haven't.

For example.. When the F17 alpha was released, Fedora had switched over and not using the rawhide repo for a week or two. If you wanted any packages from rpmfusion, then you had to install the rawhide repo since that's where the F17 packages were.

Now, as of August 8 (if everything goes right) Fedora rawhide will be F19, and F18 packages will move to it's own repos. But, F18 packages in rpmfusion will still be in the rawhide repos.
Old 24th July 2012, 04:35 AM
jwele Offline

linuxfirefox

ok well I could temporarily edit the code so that it checks to see if your fedora 18 and not rawhide if so download rawhide repo from rpmfusion. Do you think though as of August 8 that the new rawhide (fedora 19) will also use the same rpmfusion rawhide version? If not I would have to host these files somewhere so that I can specifically delegate on a per version basis these rpm's to the correct computer.
Old 24th July 2012, 04:45 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

That I am not certain of, but the rawhide repo for F18 remained the same as the one for F17. I believe the rpmfusion rawhide repo had both F17 and F18 packages in the same repo until the F17 final release when it switched over to the regular repo.

I would bet that both F18 and F19 packages will be in the same rawhide repo until the F18 final release, when F18 will move to it's own repo and F19 will remain in rawhide.

Leigh (Yellowman) could probably answer this conclusively since he builds some packages for rpmfusion.

Tags
codec, gstreamer, mp3, mpeg, video