Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 26th July 2012, 03:27 PM
p91paul Offline

linuxchrome
Gnome 3 starts with no rush

Hi! I've installed fedora 15 a year ago and I found it very nice. Starting with fedora 16, and now with 17, gnome 3 starting has slowered down. I've upgraded with pre-upgrade, never re-installed (I'm not willing to do that, since I won't learn anything).
Here are more details.
The pre-X phase, with the 3 colour fedora bar, is fast, about twenty seconds. After that Xorg starts and some seconds after the login screen appears. After login I have to wait for 30-40 seconds before I can use anything: I can see and move the mouse pointer, but no shell. There is no difference if I login in fallback mode (maybe a few seconds and no more).
If I logout and login again, the problem is no longer present, it happens the first time only.
Hard disk is running during this time.
Code:
$ systemd-analyze blame
gets good times, services starts fast.

My tries:
  • disabled all extensions
  • remove cairo-dock from automatic start
  • removed 'have file manager control the desktop' form tweak tools (maybe nautilus was slow)
Nothing has produced sensible improvements.
I created a new user account, and logging in with that empty account works faster. So it seems that the problem is some user-side setting... but I've not idea who is to blame!
Someone on an italian forum (http://forum.fedoraonline.it/viewtopic.php?id=18654) suggested me that SELinux can be the problem, but I have it disabled.

Thanks a lot
Paolo

Tags
gnome, slow, start