Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 26th July 2012, 07:43 PM
BobM Offline

linuxopera
Installing both VirtualBox and KVM

I'm asking this just to be safe and have searched and didn't see anything that addresses the question I have. Is it ok to have multiple virtual machine software installed such as VirtualBox which I have already downloaded from the repository and I was thinking to give a try Qemu and maybe later Xen. I wasn't going to have Virtualbox and Qemu running at the same time but just want to be sure having the two installed on the same host wouldn't create conflicts.
Old 26th July 2012, 08:33 PM
jwele Offline

windows_xp_2003chrome
Re: Installing both VirtualBox and KVM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
I'm asking this just to be safe and have searched and didn't see anything that addresses the question I have. Is it ok to have multiple virtual machine software installed such as VirtualBox which I have already downloaded from the repository and I was thinking to give a try Qemu and maybe later Xen. I wasn't going to have Virtualbox and Qemu running at the same time but just want to be sure having the two installed on the same host wouldn't create conflicts.
Should not be a problem. Hell there is even a Virtualization program installed in the kernel mainline since 2.6 called KVM.
Old 27th July 2012, 12:52 AM
BobM Offline

linuxopera

Thanks I'm installing now and am going to start poking around.
Old 27th July 2012, 01:05 AM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome

I remember in CentOS, at least, some time ago, though it may have changed by now, you would have to disable the modules for one before running the other. So, you might run into that.

See the odds and ends section of an old and outdated article on the CentOS wiki. DISCLAIMER--it's mostly my article.

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/KVM
Old 27th July 2012, 08:13 AM
kkshethin Offline

linuxfirefox

There is a article in dedoimedo.com for this.
"http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/kvm-virtualbox.html"

Tags
installing, kvm, virtualbox