Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 2nd August 2012, 10:44 AM
philp Offline

windows_7firefox
fedora 17 after updates, no longer get login screen

Hi everyone
I'm not having much luck with fedora 17. Its going from bad to worse.

systemsettings phonon stopped working for me (crashed). It looked to me like a gstreamer backend dll problem, so in desperation I decided to do an upgrade...which took a very long time to complete. Anyway the system will no longer give me a login, it just sits there with the fedora logo in the middle of the screen.

I am beginning to resign myself to having to start again (i.e. re-install from scratch). But I really dont want to do that just yet, it will probably take me a week to set things up the way I had them before the upgrade.

Can anybody help me know what to do to try and fix the problem. To be honest it would be very useful to be able to get KDE up and running, so that if systemsettings still fails to work I can will find it easier to do the re-install, and setup what I had originally.

By the way I have gone into rescue mode and have logged into a console, but I am unsure what to try next. I am using the nvidia graphics driver and read somewhere that an upgrade can break the system...should I uninstall nvidia? What command should I use to do that?

Any help much appreciated.
Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 04:23 PM
philp Offline

linuxchrome
Smile Re: fedora 17 after updates, no longer get login screen

Hi Again
I tryed re-installing the nvidia driver using
http://www.if-not-true-then-false.co...-nvidia-guide/
and that fixed the problem.

Even better the update fixed the systemsettings crash as well. Brilliant!!!
Now I am back to my original problem of getting the SPDIF sound working through my nvidia graphics card.
I am very pleased I did not have to do a re-install

Thanks to everyone that read my post

Tags
fedora, login, longer, nologin, screen, updates