Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th August 2012, 06:28 PM
BorregoLga Offline

windows_7chrome
Question Server with Fedora 17

Hi, everyone, well this is what I need help with.

My friend and I would like to install Fedora 17 on a server from the office, but we don't have a clue of how to do it or what we need.

We've been looking around on the web for help and we find this on a post, this includes (as they said) the minimal requirements for a perfect server, and are this:

Web Server: Apache 2.2.4
PHP 5.2.2
Database Server: MySQL 5.0.37
Mail Server: Postfix
DNS Server: BIND9 (chrooted)
FTP Server: proftpd
POP3/IMAP server: Dovecot

We'd like to install Spark IM as well, for instant messaging on the office.

We don't know much about this subject, we only have been used Ubuntu, and not for long, so if you please can guide us through, it will be awesome.

I almost forget it, one of my coworkers said to me that we'll need a public ip, but I don't know anything about it neither.

On resume, the goal is to install Fedora 17 on a server that let us to manage the webpages of our clients, files and stuff for the office, a mail service and instant messaging within the office.

So I'll be waiting for your answers.
Old 6th August 2012, 08:24 PM
MauserM98 Offline

First . Don't. Second : use CentOs.
You need a stable server. With stable packages. Fedora 17 uses even alpha packages in Samba.
CentOs is way way way way way more smart. But off course if you are not afraid of failure and a lot of tinkering then Fedora is brilliant.
All services you want to set up is described quite good here in this forum. Just search and everything you need will be revealed.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2
Old 7th August 2012, 02:53 PM
droidhacker Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Server with Fedora 17

Agreed... DO NOT use Fedora for a server.

Second, "we don't have a clue of how to do it or what we need" is a good indication that you probably shouldn't be the ones to handle this project.

I do use Fedora at work, but I use it on my workstation. I absolutely WOULD NOT under ANY circumstances, use it on a server. Not only because it is unstable and has a tendency to break at any random update, but also because it has a very short support life of only 12 months. When you put a lot of time into rigging up a server, you definitely don't want to be redoing it every year. In a production environment, you can't afford either downtime or reconfiguration nightmares.

If you do end up using Fedora, you'll DEFINITELY lose your job over it.
If you do this project with CentOS, you MIGHT lose your job (as a result of not knowing what you're doing).
Old 7th August 2012, 02:58 PM
MauserM98 Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
If you do this project with CentOS, you MIGHT lose your job (as a result of not knowing what you're doing).
Last night I fell asleep thinking just that.
Old 7th August 2012, 04:10 PM
BorregoLga Offline

windows_7chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post

Second, "we don't have a clue of how to do it or what we need" is a good indication that you probably shouldn't be the ones to handle this project.
That's what I said when they put me on this, but they want me to learn the hard way, and don't wanna pay for someone external who really knows about it.

So, we are stock in this, but Fedora came to us because of one guy on our offcie that knows how to "administrate" the services with fedora, but guess what, he hasn't a clue of how install all the services.

I've been reading some documentation of Fedora, and shows how to install all that I put in this question. So, I guess I will try it on a virtual machine or my on laptop, and see how it works, and if it likes what they see, I guess I install it on the server. But I will warn them about all you are saying.

So hopefully this works, beside the office is only 15 people tops, so it's not a lot of people who will depend of the server, so I'll give it a try and see what happend.

Finally, you're saying that if I choose Fedora or CentOS i will lose my job. So, which distro should I use to start learning about it?..

Thanks for the answers.
Old 7th August 2012, 04:42 PM
MauserM98 Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorregoLga View Post
That's what I said when they put me on this, but they want me to learn the hard way, and don't wanna pay for someone external who really knows about it.

So, we are stock in this, but Fedora came to us because of one guy on our offcie that knows how to "administrate" the services with fedora, but guess what, he hasn't a clue of how install all the services.

I've been reading some documentation of Fedora, and shows how to install all that I put in this question. So, I guess I will try it on a virtual machine or my on laptop, and see how it works, and if it likes what they see, I guess I install it on the server. But I will warn them about all you are saying.

So hopefully this works, beside the office is only 15 people tops, so it's not a lot of people who will depend of the server, so I'll give it a try and see what happend.

Finally, you're saying that if I choose Fedora or CentOS i will lose my job. So, which distro should I use to start learning about it?..

Thanks for the answers.
It will end in failure. You need allot of time to manage just one service properly.
And again. Don't think Fedora when you speak about servers. CentOS is it!!!!!! Got it?
Do you know anything about hardware? TCP/ip? Routers? Firewalls? Its ok to not know just as I do not know allot about allot. In your case. BEWARE!!!!!
Old 7th August 2012, 05:12 PM
BorregoLga Offline

windows_7chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauserM98 View Post
It will end in failure. You need allot of time to manage just one service properly.
And again. Don't think Fedora when you speak about servers. CentOS is it!!!!!! Got it?
Do you know anything about hardware? TCP/ip? Routers? Firewalls? Its ok to not know just as I do not know allot about allot. In your case. BEWARE!!!!!
Well, I know some stuff about all that you say, I'm not an expert neither. And I will try to convince the people around here to use CentOS, but I get back to the same problem, where can I find some documentation or tutorial about what we need to do???...

Any help??
Old 7th August 2012, 05:41 PM
MauserM98 Offline

linuxchrome

Here..

1. http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/
2. http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-se...er-ispconfig-3
3. http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Teaching/Unix/

etc....
Just google it...
Old 7th August 2012, 06:29 PM
BorregoLga Offline

windows_7chrome

Ok then, I'll be reading this documentation asap.

So thanks for everything man.
Old 7th August 2012, 09:56 PM
Doug G Offline

linuxfirefox

I use this: http://www.ispconfig.org/ispconfig-3/documentation/

There are tutorials available to set up a fully-functional server on CentOS, Debian, Fedora (up to Fedora 15), Ubuntu. I've been running a couple email domains and low-volume public websites on a fedora 15 ispconfig3 server for over a year now with no hiccups to speak of.
Old 7th August 2012, 11:55 PM
BorregoLga Offline

windows_7chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug G View Post
I use this: http://www.ispconfig.org/ispconfig-3/documentation/

There are tutorials available to set up a fully-functional server on CentOS, Debian, Fedora (up to Fedora 15), Ubuntu. I've been running a couple email domains and low-volume public websites on a fedora 15 ispconfig3 server for over a year now with no hiccups to speak of.
Thank man, I'll check it on it.

Actually, I found a tutorial about it but with Fedora Core 7, and one with Fedora 12 or 14, and I reading them. So thanks for the page, and hope this works, either with Fedora or CentOS.

Thanks.
Old 8th August 2012, 09:33 AM
flyingfsck Offline

linuxfirefox

Howdy,

Despite all the scare mongering above, you certainly can run a server with Fedora. You just need to be cognisant of the short support cycle. Fedora and these forums are very well suited for learning about servers.

When you run a server with a short support cycle / unstable version of Linux, the trick is to install everything you think you need, get them all updated, make sure they still work - then turn the automatic updates off and do not update the machine again - just keep using it as is - that will keep it stable. This is perfectly good for a noncritical machine running on a LAN.
Old 8th August 2012, 02:43 PM
MauserM98 Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfsck View Post
the trick is to install everything you think you need, get them all updated, make sure they still work - then turn the automatic updates off and do not update the machine again - just keep using it as is - that will keep it stable. This is perfectly good for a noncritical machine running on a LAN.
I have a friend that does just that with success. He uses Fedora versions that are a couple of versions older than of today. He will probably not update them before new hardware is on its way.
Old 8th August 2012, 03:13 PM
distributer Offline

windows_7firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauserM98 View Post
I have a friend that does just that with success. He uses Fedora versions that are a couple of versions older than of today. He will probably not update them before new hardware is on its way.
and leave every security hole open...

Remember Backup, Backup and oh yes Backup

Then start from the ground up, not with services.

What happens if a hard disk fails? Does the 'server' have a hardware raid etc.
What happens if a network fails? Bonding? Routing tables and/or subnets for clients?
What happens if the server fails? failover etc. or another box you can just turn on to take over?

What hardware do you use? UPS etc.
Old 13th August 2012, 03:25 PM
droidhacker Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:

Thanks for the answers.
Read again, I said that with FEDORA you will ***DEFINITELY*** lose your job, and it will be Fedora's failures that guarantee it.

With CentOS, you only ***MIGHT*** lose your job over it, and it will be 100% YOUR successes or failures that determine it.

---------- Post added at 10:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 AM ----------

Quote:
Well, I know some stuff about all that you say, I'm not an expert neither. And I will try to convince the people around here to use CentOS, but I get back to the same problem, where can I find some documentation or tutorial about what we need to do???...

Any help??
Same place as you would find for Fedora you will find for CentOS.

CentOS is effectively STABLE FEDORA with up to 13 YEAR security update cycle.
Fedora is UNSTABLE with up to 13 MONTH security update cycle.

---------- Post added at 10:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 AM ----------

Here is a GREAT source of information for setup/config of Redhat AND Debian (and related) distros;
http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/wiki/

Tags
beginner, fedora, fedora 17, installation beginner, server