Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th December 2004, 11:25 AM
kumarannair Offline

Java applets plugin for Mozilla

Hello,
I am a newbie and now using Fedora Core 1 Linux on a Celeron 1.4 GHz machine. Ia am using KDE desktop. I tried hard to view a HTML page that contains a Java applet. (I installed Java sdk and it works fine)
I tried everything that I found through the posts in Fedora Forum and other sites.
But totally disappointed. (Including creating a symbolic link in the plugins directory)

Can anyone provide a right way for me?
I need only running a java applet that is within the context of a web page.

Please provide a web link which contain well-tesed rpms for the java plugin for Mozilla.
( I already tried one or two, but falied to get apporopriate rpm for Fedora Core1 on 386 machine)

A Linux Lover
Kumar
Old 6th December 2004, 11:59 AM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
You can download the Sun Java and follow their instructions from here: http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
I've used the self-extracting as well as the .rpm before without problems. Just make sure you think the instructions through as the version number in the example is old and you need to make sure you're pointing to the correct directory for java.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 6th December 2004, 11:49 PM
taylor65 Offline

If you install synaptic first, then it'll install java with just a click of the mouse. In synaptic, the java package is mozilla-j2re.
Old 7th December 2004, 05:10 AM
kumarannair Offline

Dear taylor 65,
Thanks for your advice

If you install synaptic first, then it'll install java with just a click of the mouse. In synaptic, the java package is mozilla-j2re.
What does the synaptic means. Please explain. How will I get it?
Old 7th December 2004, 05:19 AM
zephlyn Offline

you can get apt and synaptic from http://freshrpms.net/
Old 7th December 2004, 06:04 AM
kumarannair Offline

Unhappy clarify synaptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumarannair
Dear taylor 65,
What does the synaptic means. Please explain. How will I get it?

I don't under stand what is synaptic and what it does with java. Is is an installer like yum or rpm.

I cannot find a synaptic from the specified repository. would you give exact link to synaptic

Kumar
Old 7th December 2004, 07:00 AM
zephlyn Offline

Yes, apt is another installer like yum. Synaptic is simply a GUI front-end for it. I imagin it is possible to install mozilla-j2re using yum as well, but I don't know very much about yum. Installing mozilla-j2re is the easy way to get java working in your browser.

If you prefer you can simply download and install the mozilla-j2re and j2re RPMs for your achitecture:

http://dag.wieers.com/packages/j2re/
Old 7th December 2004, 05:43 PM
taylor65 Offline

Synaptic is a gui-based front end to apt, a package installer. It's super-easy to use. The only problem is that it isn't installed by default on redhat distributions. When using synaptic to install packages, all the links, dependencies, etc. are automatically taken care of, so all you have to do is click on the package and choose install. If you look at feforafaq.org, you'll see my old synaptic install method for FC2 (I think it's still there). I'm sure that if you do a search on the internet, you'll find an install how-to for FC1. Although, the basics are to use yum to install synaptic (yum install synaptic), then run synaptic. The issue is that the default yum repositories usually don't have synaptic, so you have to add dag's repository.
Old 9th December 2004, 06:37 AM
kumarannair Offline

Hai,
Thanks for all advices.
But I think I should find a suitable rpm for Mozilla-Java plugin

I tried several rpms and I also installed Java SDK and made a symbolic link, but all failed Please suggest a respository which have mozilla-java plugin for my architecture and os (Fedoracore 1 on 386)

(How could I find details of my processor and mother board , specifically architecture of motherboard. I suspect that I found a mistake by asserting my system of 386 architecture. Given are other details:
Motherboard Mercury KOB 810 E
Processor Celeron 1.4 GHz
)
Thanking you
Kumar
A Linux Lover
Old 9th December 2004, 09:48 AM
zephlyn Offline

I provided a link to download a Java Runtime and plugin already:

http://dag.wieers.com/packages/j2re/
Old 9th December 2004, 12:37 PM
taylor65 Offline

You're really, really, going to want to install synaptic, because every time you want to add a new package, you're going to have to go through a lot of headaches unless you have synaptic or gyum or something else that resolves dependencies and links, etc. So, if you want flash, java, or anything else that's not installed from the CDs (which is over 4,000 packages), then you're going to need synaptic or gyum. So take the 5 minutes, read the how-to I have about installing synaptic, and you'll save yourself a lot of time and headache.
Old 9th December 2004, 01:00 PM
fast sjonny Offline

Java-applets how to

Taylor is right, I really would recommend yum for installing extra packages.

However, I installed java by hand myself and it is very easy to do.

1. Download the following rpm from the Sun-Javasite: jre-1_5_0-linux-i586.rpm
2. Open a console, become superuser by typing su and your root password.
3. Go to the directory where you saved the rpm
4. Run the rpm-command by typing rpm -iv jre-1_5_0-linux-i586.rpm
5. change to your Mozilla or Mozilla Firefox plugins directory and issue the following command: ln -s /usr/java/jre1.5.0/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
6. Then I made a file called java.sh with the content you find at the bottom of this reply
7. make the file java.sh executable (right-click, properties, executable) and copy it in the /etc/profile.d folder and you are ready.
8. Reboot and everything should be working.
9. You can check easily if Java is in the path after this install by typing echo $PATH in a console. You should find Java in the path somewhere.
10. To see if Java is working in your browser you can try the following link: http://www.bodo.com/javame.htm
Jan

The content of java.sh:

# /etc/profile.d/java.sh - Sets Java Environment

if [ -z "$JAVA_HOME" ]; then
if [ -e /etc/javaversion ]; then
javaver=`cat /etc/javaversion | head -1`
fi

if [ -z $javaver ]; then
jdkpath=`ls -1 /usr/java/ | grep "$javaver" | head -1`
if [ "X$jdkpath" == "X" ]; then
jdkpath=`ls -1 /usr/java/ | head -1`
fi