Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 27th December 2004, 06:06 AM
Mad Cow Offline

Renaming storage devices

Right, so I have several storage devices (3 HD partitions and a USB memory drive). The partitions display the correct drive name (Rather, what I named the drives when I used Windows. In the Computer folder, I see entries like "26G Hard Drive: DELTA", DELTA being the drive name. This is good), but my USB drive (just bought it and don't want to boot Windows to rename it) just calls itself "LEXAR MEDIA". I would like to change this.

There is no right clicking and renaming it (because that would be too easy). Anyone know how I can rename any of these devices (I'm fine with the HD names, but you know, I may want to change them someday)?

As I continue my journey (I'm sure the term 'journey' used in conjuction with Linux is getting a bit cliche now... but whatever) through Linux, I find myself wanting to be just completely free of Windows. I want to be able to sacrifice it to the heathen gods without feeling a pang of guilt or worry. Therefore, anything I find I can do in Windows but not Linux drives me crazy and makes me hesitate in removing Windows from my system (for some reason, I gave 17G of NTFS to Windows... and I want it back!).
Anyway, I ramble. Your comments are very much appreciated.
Old 27th December 2004, 04:26 PM
Woad_Warrior Offline

Well, one thing I wouldn't do is piss off the heathen gods by offering them a windows sacrifice.
As far as renaming of partitions go, the only time i've done this is during an install, so I doubt that'll help much, but one of the partitioning tools may be able to accomadate you. not too sure about renaming of a flash drive though.
Old 27th December 2004, 08:50 PM
Mad Cow Offline

Well, I have no qualms about reformatting the USB drive if it means renaming it. I don't have very much on it yet.

What tool would you recommend for formatting it? It needs to be able to name it during the format.
Old 27th December 2004, 09:20 PM
crackers Offline
Retired Community Manager

If your device or partition is formatted with ext2/3, you can use the e2label program to put a label on the partition.
Linux User #28251 (April '93)
Professional Java Geek :cool:
Old 19th May 2006, 09:38 PM
penguinmeow Offline

http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/2006/03/...-using-mtools/

Code:
# su -
# cp /etc/mtools.conf ~/.mtoolsrc
# gedit /root/.mtoolsrc

drive t: file="/dev/sda1"
[add this line near the end of the file]

# mcd t:
[change drive]

# mlabel -s t:
 Volume label is NEW VOLUME
# mlabel t:new-label
# mlabel -s t:
 Volume label is NEW-LABEL
Unmout the volume, then remount.

Last edited by penguinmeow; 24th June 2007 at 06:02 AM.

Tags
devices, renaming, storage