Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 8th January 2005, 05:35 AM
socc3r Offline

Exclamation for the love of god, please!

alright -
I was downloading some DVD burning software off bearshare, and when i installed it, it said reboot my computer - (mind you I did not read the installtion to carfully, I knew it was the program I had downloaded) so I did. Prior to this it said double click the crack button, and I did that as well. The setup directions said that the crack was adding the necissary reg. keys to my windows registry. Alright - so when i restart my computer, the "fedora 2" install screen came up, and there is no option to go back to windows or to exit setup.

Does anyone know how to exit the setup and get back to windows, then delete this fedora set up thing so I do not have to deal with it anymore??

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 8th January 2005, 05:44 AM
PSG1 Offline

Why you want to remove it? It maybe stupid question but by anychance do you have Fedora CD in your drive ?
Old 8th January 2005, 05:47 AM
socc3r Offline

I never wanted it in the first place -
Actually I do, but I am using my dad's computer and am only a freshaman in highschool and right now don't have the time to learn linux (although I may take a course this summer)...
And no, no disk in the drive - i don't own the Fedora software so i dont know how or why it came up in the first place...

** Also I am looking to cancel this installation and reboot windows without clearing the hard drive - I, as well as my dad, have lots of stuffed saved just to that drive.

Thanks again

Last edited by socc3r; 8th January 2005 at 05:55 AM.
Old 8th January 2005, 06:05 AM
Psquared Offline

Can you get into "Safe Mode?" If you can you can probably use system restore. If not, see if you can boot to the XP Recovery CD and start Windows. You might also try the old standby from the recovery disk "fdisk /fixmbr"
Old 8th January 2005, 06:10 AM
socc3r Offline

hmm -

i know this sounds elementary, but how would I go about getting into safe mode again? I haven't had a problem with a computer in a while and don't really remember.

I doubt will be able to get the safemode though, when I restart the computer, it goes almost imidiately to the FC2 install screen. It used to go through all of the hardware that is installed (as it booted), but it doesn't do that anymore either.

also - lets say i don't have the XP recovery CD that goes with my XP, (I think my brother took it to college with him) would any XP recovery disk work?

Last edited by socc3r; 8th January 2005 at 06:16 AM.
Old 8th January 2005, 06:16 AM
Woad_Warrior Offline

hmmmm, sounds like someone (riaa, mpaa, or just some smartass. and yes, the various copywrite enforcement groups are putting bogus files into the p2p networks.) pulled a nasty surprise on you for downloading a pirated file. (or what you thought was one) as to how to fix it? your best bet is to take it to someone who knows what their doing. (re: a comp repair shop) they should be able to back up all your data, and either repair wintendo or reinstall it.
BTW good luck fixing it. that someone should disgrace linux doing something like this is revolting. i hope it doesn't sour you when you actually do decide to try out linux.

I am the answer to life, the universe and everything. (at least until august)

Did someone's answer help you? add to their reputation

various useful links ---> http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/sho...011#post207011

Last edited by Woad_Warrior; 8th January 2005 at 06:35 AM.
Old 8th January 2005, 06:19 AM
PSG1 Offline

What you need is installation CD for version of XP you have. It shoul;d come with the PC. Boot with it and one of the first screens that give you a choices you will see recover Windows (dont choose install for Pits sake) Next screen should be something like "Do you have recovery floppy" I assume no so you going have to recover from installation CD.
Old 8th January 2005, 03:21 PM
Psquared Offline

I'll tell you something I learned about all of this. We have 2 Gateways and 1 Dell in the house. They don't come with an XP disk. They come with a recovery CD which contains drivers and programs along with XP files. It is not a straightforward process like having a store bought XP install disk.

I'm going to make an XP recovery disk (CD) with the necessary CDRom drivers and fdisk on it so I can just boot it and then run fdisk /fixmbr. I have a recovery disk for Linux so I just need one for XP. If you are going to fool around with this stuff (I know you didn't intend to do this - you downloaded a bad file) it is a necessary precaution.

By the way, there is an XP Quickboot program you can download. I tried to use it, but I found a way to fix mine without going through all of that - but its supposed to allow you to boot and fix XP mbr problems.
Old 8th January 2005, 07:36 PM
socc3r Offline

hey guys - thanks for everything -
i got my computer up last night after barrowing an XP recovery disk from a neighbor.

Tags
god, love