Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th January 2005, 02:45 PM
asmodanus Offline

Unhappy Internal modem?

Any idea about how2 make internal (laptop built-in) modem HSP MR-8640 (PCTel?) to work under FC3? Any standard ways? Any additional info?

Now I have stupid situation - to download updates for FC I need modem, but it is working only under WXP now, so I boot to XP, download rpm's, write them to cdrw, reboot to fc3 and read them from cd. Rather stupid way of life, isn't it? (NTFS support still not installed)
Old 19th January 2005, 05:11 PM
taylor65 Offline

for an internal modem to work, you'll need a driver, preferably from the vendor. if the vendor doesn't provide one, you can try some of the drivers that the community has written. worst case, use an external modem, they don't need any drivers.
Old 20th August 2005, 03:35 AM
Hombre Offline

With a bit of searching on google or yahoo, you'll be sure find lots of other people doing something pretty similar. Here's one helpful site: www.linmodems.org

In general, internal modems suck, because I've been going through something pretty similar to you. Think about a new modem. Can you use a floppy, or USB flash key for file transfer?

Tags
internal, modem