Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 27th January 2005, 04:01 PM
Jordie Offline

Audio Not Working after Kernel Upgrade

This morning I downloaded and installed the latest kernel avaliable (2.6.10-1.741_FC3) using yum update. I then installed the newest version of Ndiswrapper and made sure my wireless device was configured.

I rebooted and had no problems at all. I surfed the web and then I opened XMMS. I wanted to listen to some music. I selected one of the mp3's from my playlist and it began to play on XMMS but no audio came out of my speakers.

I checked to see if the audio cord was plugged into the jack on the back of the computer and also made sure that the volume was turned up. Still nothing.. So I tried a quick reboot still didn't help.

I have both OSS and ASLA installed (these were installed by default) and opened the command line and tried this,

Code:
root@kansas_sucks (/home/jordie) /dev/random > /dev/dsp
and still didn't hear anything at all. Does anyone know what this problem is and how can I fix it? I am still in the process of learning advanced Linux and am not very familar with the audio part of it yet.

Here is some additional information about my box.

Code:
jordie@kansas_sucks (~) uname -a
Linux kansas_sucks 2.6.10-1.741_FC3 #1 Thu Jan 13 16:38:22 EST 2005 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
jordie@kansas_sucks (~) perl ~/.xchat2/yasis-2.6.pl -a
[OS] Fedora Core release 3 (Heidelberg); Kernel 2.6.10-1.741_FC3 :: [Uptime] 22 min :: [CPU] 1-Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.20GHz @ 2194MHz (128 KB) (9% load) ::  [Video] Intel Corp. 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device @ 1024x768 (24 bit) :: [Disk] 6.55G Used, 37.29G Total (77% Free) :: [Network] Unknown Device (wlan0) (Total: 0.00M In, 0.00M Out)
jordie@kansas_sucks (~)
Thanks,

Jordie

Old 29th January 2005, 08:15 PM
bobfranke Offline

No answer, alas, but the same problem--kernel 2.6.10 has blown my sound. Nothing is muted, all levels are up. Running a Dell 2400 with AC'97 integrated sound. The card is detected--it just doesn't emit sound. All connections are okay.
Old 29th January 2005, 09:17 PM
bobfranke Offline

Downloaded and installed the latest alsa drivers (1.0.8). Ran alsaconf. Heard a brief thud from the speakers. Made sure volume was up and nothing was muted. Still no sound. Very frustrating.
Old 29th January 2005, 10:18 PM
superbnerd

Was the kernel the only thing upgraded> Do you have an older kernel to boot back into to make sure audio still work on it?

Jordie I assume you sound card is also a ac97. It seems to be know bug with the fedora 2.6.10 kernel that affects a lot of users.
Old 30th January 2005, 02:25 AM
rega451 Offline

NOT AGAIN? Or should I say...Still? There are numerous posts on this site in several forums on this sound problem. It seems the 2.6.10-1.741 kernel just won't work for SOME systems. Mine included. So far no one has seemed to solve the problem without a major system makeover as far as I can tell. If you weren't having a problem with kernel 2.6.9-1.667 I would just go back to it for now. Maybe submit a bug report, someone will eventually fix it (I Hope).
Old 30th January 2005, 05:11 AM
Jordie Offline

My sound is working again. I ran alsamixer made sure all my volumes were up, opened the system logs and then opened xmms and then I tried to play music again and it worked! No problems any longer with sound.

It seems like after so many reboots it gets restored or something. Maybe I am wrong but that's what it seemed like to me.
Old 30th January 2005, 10:51 PM
bobfranke Offline

Many thanks for the Bugzilla link, superbnerd--I tried what a fellow Dell 2400 owner running kernel 2.6.10-1.741 suggested there: go to the volume control and mute Headphone Jack Sense and Line Jack Sense. Sound is back. Perhaps it will work on other machines.
Old 4th February 2005, 04:48 PM
waldotim Offline

Quote:
go to the volume control and mute Headphone Jack Sense and Line Jack Sense
...worked wonders on my Dell Precision 650. Thanks!!!

Tags
audio, kernel, upgrade, working