Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 28th January 2005, 04:45 AM
smudge Offline

FC3 Install, additional NTFS Drive added - Formatting.

As the title tries to explain in the small space available, I have a FC3 install running exceptionally well on my machine. I have added a sata 120 HDD that is empty and formatted in NTFS. I have mounted these before without trouble as I have applied the NTFS kernel update from the wizards at Linux NTFS
Linux NTFS. I would like to format this drive with Reiser4 or ext3. Being relatively new to Fedora I don't really know where to begin. Coming from Mandrake I am used to using 'Control Centre' to do pretty much all of this, formatting and mounting, but I do not know where to begin in Fedora.

Any tips or suggestions would be most useful. I tried the install disc (as some distros work this way) and hunted around the system for anaconda and disk druid without much success. I wish to format, mount and auto mount at boot this drive. Thanks in advance for any support.
Old 28th January 2005, 07:49 AM
foolish Offline
Retired Community Manager

There's a graphical front end to the partitioning software parted available, called qtparted. Try getting that.
Old 28th January 2005, 08:16 AM
imdeemvp Offline

Qtparted thread here.

Easiest and most friendly desktop ever is PCLinuxOS! Includes all this apps. Just try it.

"The greater the struggle THE greater the achievment."

Do you know HIM?

If you are an idiot click here. NThis will test you linux skills :D
Old 28th January 2005, 03:05 PM
smudge Offline

Thanks for the links! I have sucessfully (actually very easily I am pleased to say) installed QTParted. My drive is /dev/sda1. I am not sure if FC3 supports Reiser3 or 4 so I opted for ext3 format. This took a few moments and now is formatted. I went to a terminal and typed:

cd /mnt/
#mkdir SATA_01
#mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/SATA_01 -t ext3 -r -o umask=0222
and got the error
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1,
or too many mounted file systems

Also the formatted drive had a little over 5Gb shaded in yellow in QTParted. What is this? Have I mistakenly only formatted 5Gb or is this for the ext3 filesystem itself?

Any help would be most welcome.

Tags
added, additional, drive, fc3, formatting, install, ntfs