Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 17th February 2005, 02:13 PM
veritas Offline

authentication failed message

I thought this was just when I tried to "gedit" some file, but it turns out that I get this message for a variety of program initializations. I usually don't initialize through the terminal so I just now noticed. I'm having a variety of little problems and I wonder if this error message might help explain some of them. This is while opening in root.

Quote:
GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:
Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed.
So far, nautilus, totem, evolution and...I'd be willing to bet, any program with a gui, is giving me this error.

I just tried opening totem as a regular user and I get this:

Quote:
libgnomevfs-WARNING **: Cannot load module `/usr/lib/gnome-vfs-2.0/modules/libcdda.so' (/usr/lib/gnome-vfs-2.0/modules/libcdda.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
I'll bet the errors aren't related, but I post it here anyway, since I just noticed it.

Weird...I'm not getting the first error message as a regular user, but only as root.

Trying nautilus as root gets me the same error with an additional:

Quote:
(nautilus:8260): Bonobo-WARNING **: Leaked a total of 1 refs to 1 bonobo object(s)
I apologize if these errrors are all completely unrelated. I'm just wondering if anyone can decipher if there is a likely underlying issue here...like screwed up file permissions.

Thanks.
Old 17th February 2005, 02:18 PM
veritas Offline

OH, I should add that most of these programs work fine...but there are some programs I'm having issues with and I thought these errors might help me get it figured out. Nautilus works, gedit works, I'm having some issues with totem (and was with mplayer).

Tags
authentication, failed, message