Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 20th February 2005, 07:39 PM
woosting Offline

Question No correct keypad code on FC3 console

I play a MUD using Windows-XP but I am getting more and more interested in LINUX. So I build 2 FedoraCore3 machines. I want to /bind some keys in Tinyfugue (linux mud client) and I can only do this when it sends out some code (instead of the number or being used as cursor-movement-key).

When I connect (SSH/TELNET) to a FedoraCore3 computer through putty (on Windows), I can configure putty that when I press a keypad key it sends the code: nkp4 (or something like that). So no problem there.

But when I play directly from the Fedoracore3 txt-console it does not send a keypad-code!
In that case with NumLock-ON it wil just type numbers, and with NumLock off the keypad-keys with arrows on them will act like cursor keys (like the 4 between the normal keys and the keypad) and in both those cases I cannot bind the key to the command I need!

Any idea's from you guru's? I really love the stability and speed Linux offers me... It took me a day googleing/IMing people but I am afraid I must give up and ask you guys (normally I get great answers on this forum that AT LEAST point me into the right direction).

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by woosting; 21st February 2005 at 05:50 PM.
Old 20th February 2005, 09:02 PM
jayemef Offline

Take a look at this thread. It's a nice how-to on setting up keybinding in gnome, though it shows a way to determine what signals the keys are passing. From the description you gave, I think this should get you in the right direction. Good luck!

http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42342
Registered Linux User #371168

+Fedora Core 3 - k2.6.10-1.766_FC3
+WindowMaker 0.91.0
Old 21st February 2005, 07:01 PM
jim Offline
Retired Community Manager & Avid Drinker Of Suds

Quote:
Unfortunately, even if your terminal has a particular key, your termcap entries may not define it, so you may not be able to use it by name. The arrow and function are pretty reliably defined, but many of the other keys are not. Also, terminal emulators often do not match all the key definitions.
Check out http://tf.tcp.com/tf-40s1-help/topics/keybindings.html
Registered Linux User: #376813
Western NY
My linux site
Smolt Profile

please remember to say if you problem was solved

Did you get your id10t award today?
Old 22nd February 2005, 10:02 AM
woosting Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedorajim
The thing is I am not in an emulated console! I am working on the computer with the txt-consle (CTRL-ALT-F1 to -F6). It is the emulated console (putty) which works fine, but I so badly want to use the pure txt-form on linux!

Tags
code, console, correct, fc3, keypad