Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 28th February 2005, 03:25 PM
richchase Offline

Changing Fedora Core Splash Screen

Ok I have 2 questions.

1) Im using GNOME and Ive successfully changed the splash screen image when logging in as root by going to panel/system tools/configuration editor. However the splash screen image only changes when i log in as root, not as every user. Can anyone help with this?

2) Ive googled for an hour or so but I cant seem to change the splash screen background color. I can put in any image I want, but the screen is still that nasty a** blue. I check some of the X11 files but I couldnt locate if the code is in there or not.

thanks in advance.
Old 28th February 2005, 03:29 PM
fedorento Offline

take a look at /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf. Maybe you can alter that there.
Old 28th February 2005, 03:45 PM
richchase Offline

So i saw some script in there:

backgroundcolor = #000000;

Or something of that degree.

i changed the hex values to 00FF00 and the screen flashed bright green for about .5 seconds and then went to back to the original blue......

Last edited by richchase; 28th February 2005 at 04:14 PM.
Old 28th February 2005, 07:22 PM
fedorento Offline

sorry if I mislead you.

I think some app executing after login superimposes on your choice.

/etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf applies to your graphical login screen, not exactly the splash

It smells to me that the splash is customizable for each user's session so if you changed it for
root it changes for root and not for others. Experment your first setting also with your normal user

If that works too for him, them the config either is copied when creating users to /home/someuser and you will have to do that for each user not wanting the default in some configuration file in his home folder, or by the menus, (or by putting the new configuration in user templates folder - I dont know where but in Debian was /etc/skel) or there is some outer level configuration file that applies
to every user, usually /etc/X11/something...

try also to find info finding the name of splash app. (Hit gdm and then TAB on a console) and then man the app name (gdm-splash or something...)

not quite specific I was, but I hope that helps somehow.

hope this helps
Old 28th February 2005, 08:40 PM
jayemef Offline

Just a FYI: it's HIGHLY recommended that you NOT log into the root account. Rather, if you need root privaleges, use the command
Code:
su -
With full root privaleges at all times, there is little stopping you from deleting/modifying crucial system files, as well as accidentally doing other problematic things. If you only give yourself permissions when you need them, you will avoid most of this, as you generally have a specific action in mind when you need these privs anyway.
Registered Linux User #371168

+Fedora Core 3 - k2.6.10-1.766_FC3
+WindowMaker 0.91.0

Tags
changing, core, fedora, screen, splash