Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 8th March 2005, 04:18 AM
SDNick484 Offline

Dell Latitude D610 (Great Linux Laptop)

For anyone considering running Linux on a laptop, I must say the Latitude D610 is an excellent candidate. I've only had it for a week, and so far I've got everything I want working under Fedora Core 3 (I'm even syncing my Dell Axim X5). After installation, only three parts needed a little work: the Intel wifi card (the Dell card will probably need a little tweaking as well, it has the Broadcom chipset and must use the ndiswrapper), sound, and 3D hardware acceleration.

To fix the wifi card: head over to ipw2200.sf.net and download the latest driver tarball (currently 1.0.1-23) as well as the latest firmware (2.2-5). Unzip the driver, make && make install it; unzip the firmware, copy it to /lib/firmware and create a symbolic link ( ln -s /lib/firmware /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware). Reboot and it should be autodetected and work.

As to the sound: it does work however by default the primary PCM channel is set to mute on boot. To fix this run aumix and set PCM to 100, escape out of it, run /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0, now add '/usr/sbin/alsactl restore 0 to /etc/rc.d/rc.local.

Lastly the ATI driver for 3D acceleration at the hardware level (as opposed to Mesa): download the latest ATI fglrx driver and switch to run level 3 (telinit 3). Force install the driver (rpm -Uvh --force fglrx_6_8_0-8.10.19-1.i386.rpm), next cd to /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod and run make (sh make.sh). Drop back a directory and run make install (cd .. && sh make_install.sh). Restart X by telinit 5 and you should be set.

There are a few other tweaks I've done thay may be of interest; feel free to email me if you've got questions.
Old 22nd March 2005, 05:55 PM
Martin2610 Offline

Hi,

I just bought the latitude d610, but I have problems installing the ati driver. I did as you told but I couldn't enable 3D support. It would be great if you could give me some help on that issue.
Thanks a lot.

Martin
Old 28th March 2005, 12:44 AM
SDNick484 Offline

You're correct, there's a problem with my ATI installation instructions (basically you need to make some slight changes to your Xorg.conf). Check this thread out on Dell's community web site for more detailed instructions.
Old 12th April 2005, 11:03 AM
jonij Offline

I still have problem with my monitor.
When i connect my laptop to an exernal screen i see the graphical screen but when i start it without an external screen when x start i don't see nothing?

What can i do?
Regards.
Old 20th April 2005, 07:41 PM
ryness Offline

jonij when you did the install was the external screen plugged in?
Old 21st April 2005, 07:05 PM
jonij Offline

i installed the computer in text mode. when it started i don't see nothing only if i start on init 3.
if i connect it to an external monitor i can see. but if i start the computer when i am not connected to an external monitor i don't see nothing......

you know what can i do?

Regards.
Old 25th April 2005, 01:54 PM
sosullivan Offline

Dell D610 display

Hi,
I have installed FC 3 on a Dell Latitude D610. Install went Ok, but I am having a problem with screen resolution. Graphics card is the mobile intel 915 GM. If I set the screen resolution to anything other than 1400x1050, I can't see the entire screen (can see the clock etc), the screen appears stretched along the horizontal axis, and other probelms. If I set the resolution to 1400x1050 the entire right half of the screen flickers and is fuzzy.

Any ideas? I tried a few suggestions found here and on other sites, but not luck so far.

Regards,

Steve.
Old 4th May 2005, 09:17 AM
jonij Offline

i saw something new.When i connect my computer to an external screen i can see when i press fn-f8 is see on my laptop but if i turn on my laptop without a screen i can see nothing.
Old 24th May 2005, 02:03 AM
ibe_top Offline

can someone please verify with there d610 that DMA is working correctly.

hdparm -d /dev/hda and / or hdparm -d 1 /dev/hda

thanks in advance, jay
Old 24th May 2005, 10:39 PM
rohospecv Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibe_top
can someone please verify with there d610 that DMA is working correctly.

hdparm -d /dev/hda and / or hdparm -d 1 /dev/hda

thanks in advance, jay
If i am not mistaken the d610 has a SATA drive so it would be sda not hda, but it is my understanding that SATA and hdparm don't play nice together
Old 13th June 2005, 01:00 PM
clepto Offline

Just got dma working on my dvd drive....
you need to modify linux-2.6.11/include/linux/libata.h and change

#undef ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI /* define to enable ATAPI support */
#undef ATA_ENABLE_PATA /* define to enable PATA support in some

to

#define ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI /* define to enable ATAPI support */
#define ATA_ENABLE_PATA /* define to enable PATA support in some

then recompile the kernel
making sure of course that sata is compiled in the kernel and not a module (actually I haven't bothered trying as a module)...

the dvd/cd drive will then show up as a scsi dev device... with dma... /dev/scd0

Last edited by clepto; 13th June 2005 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11th October 2005, 01:50 PM
zaphod Offline

clepto
thanks for this patch

I also have a brand new d610 with SATA hdd.
I am having a performance issue on the hard disk drive (well, maybe I have it on the dvd drive too but I did not try watching dvds), that is really poor as compared with what I get under winxp
Do you think your patch might be helpful for the hdd too?
Why in the kernel and not as a module ?
my own config is 2.6.13.3 with a config derived from fc4's kernel, and SCSI-SATA* all are modules
Old 11th October 2005, 02:26 PM
aTypical Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosullivan
Hi,
I have installed FC 3 on a Dell Latitude D610. Install went Ok, but I am having a problem with screen resolution. Graphics card is the mobile intel 915 GM. If I set the screen resolution to anything other than 1400x1050, I can't see the entire screen (can see the clock etc), the screen appears stretched along the horizontal axis, and other probelms. If I set the resolution to 1400x1050 the entire right half of the screen flickers and is fuzzy.

Any ideas? I tried a few suggestions found here and on other sites, but not luck so far.

Regards,

Steve.
sosullivan,

I have the same card in my HP Pavilion laptop. The way I was able to fix the video problem was to use the 855resolution utility. It is available via yum (if not check freshrpms). I think the first step is to run gtf with something like 'gtf -x 1280 800.' This will give you the correct mode line to add to your xorg.conf (under the monitor section). Once that's done run 855resolution, restart X, and you're all set.

HTH.

Jason
Old 11th October 2005, 02:49 PM
sosullivan Offline

Thanks Jason,
I actually found an answer some months back in another thread (http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthr...t=1%2F2+screen). Has been running fine for about 4 months now.

Thanks again for the help anyway.

Regards,

Stephen.
Old 12th October 2005, 08:44 AM
clepto Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod
clepto
thanks for this patch

I also have a brand new d610 with SATA hdd.
I am having a performance issue on the hard disk drive (well, maybe I have it on the dvd drive too but I did not try watching dvds), that is really poor as compared with what I get under winxp
Do you think your patch might be helpful for the hdd too?
Why in the kernel and not as a module ?
my own config is 2.6.13.3 with a config derived from fc4's kernel, and SCSI-SATA* all are modules
the patch only gets dma running with the dvd (I've found this too unstable).

the problem you're having, I had as well after a yum upgrade... I've switched back to kernel 2.6.12-1.1447_FC4 and have no problems

Tags
d610, dell, great, laptop, latitude, linux