Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th March 2005, 06:45 PM
a_cmmn Offline

FC3 fails in bringing up or down interface eth0, network unreachable

Hi,

I installed Fedora Core 3 and can only get the DHCP working through the SystemRescue CD. After I boot from the rescue CD, I can ping the ip on my LAN. The problem I have is that if I try to run Fedora from dual boot, it never gets the network working. I get errors like "Bringing up interface eth0: kernel panic - not syncing: Haling". Similar errors if it trying to bring down eth0. Also if try ping, I get network unreachable. Can anyone tell me please what makes things work using the Rescue CD versus the dual boot normal login? Also is there a way to start X from the root prompt that I get after I boot using the Systemrescue CD? I am new to this. I have windows XP, Dell machine, aDSL with pppoE using username and password.

Please help....Thank you very much,

Alex
Old 10th March 2005, 06:40 PM
a_cmmn Offline

Question Please Help - Problem starting network aDSL pppoE

Hi,

regarding the problem i stated below...here is some clarifiaction ....please help...any ideas?

I installed Fedora FC3 and got the SystemRescue CD from www.sysresccd.org. The problem I have is: when I boot from the rescue CD, connection to DHCP is done nicely both in bringing up and down interface. When I boot by normal hard disk dual boot, I doesn't connect to network and gives me errors like "Bringing up interface eth0: kernel panic - not syncing: Halting" and "network unreachable".

If I try to use adsl-setup then adsl-start I get the kernel panic error again.

I also tried:

bash network status: gives me Configured devices: lo eth0 ppp0, and Currently active devices: blank.

bash network start: gives kernel panic when brining up interface eth0.

This is for home LAN, 1 PC with dual boot windows XP or Linux and the other PC with XP only. aDSL is Linksys router , pppoE.

thank you...
alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_cmmn
Hi,

I installed Fedora Core 3 and can only get the DHCP working through the SystemRescue CD. After I boot from the rescue CD, I can ping the ip on my LAN. The problem I have is that if I try to run Fedora from dual boot, it never gets the network working. I get errors like "Bringing up interface eth0: kernel panic - not syncing: Haling". Similar errors if it trying to bring down eth0. Also if try ping, I get network unreachable. Can anyone tell me please what makes things work using the Rescue CD versus the dual boot normal login? Also is there a way to start X from the root prompt that I get after I boot using the Systemrescue CD? I am new to this. I have windows XP, Dell machine, aDSL with pppoE using username and password.

Please help....Thank you very much,

Alex

Tags
bringing, eth0, fails, fc3, interface, network, unreachable