Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th March 2005, 11:06 PM
confusednewuser Offline

Question fc3 - where's gcc and automounting cd?

just installed core 3.

but when i type gcc the shell can't find it.

anybody know where it is so i can add it to my path?
also how do i add things to the global path pernamently, instead of putting it on everybody's .tcshrc?

also why doesn't the cdrom automount, it has a line in /etc/fstab about mounting it. anyone know what i can change it to, so that it might automount?

thanks in advance

john - confused, experience fedora core 1,2 but new to 3 user.
Old 10th March 2005, 09:39 AM
SaintKnight Offline

The gcc in my FC3 machine locates at /usr/bin directory. Hope you can see it in yours.
If you want to add a global path to every user, try edit /etc/profile.
Old 10th March 2005, 04:53 PM
GrahamB Offline

Hi Confusednewuser!

See also your other thread: http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46660

Hope that helps.
GrahamB
Old 11th March 2005, 04:55 AM
crackers Offline
Retired Community Manager

If you didn't install the development tools, then gcc isn't installed and you'll need to use yum/apt or the RPMs off of the CDs/DVD. This is true of all the development tools, including make.

As for changing the global path, you can add a file to /etc/profile.d which will be executed on each login.
Linux User #28251 (April '93)
Professional Java Geek :cool:
Old 11th March 2005, 01:24 PM
confusednewuser Offline

thanks,

yea i did a re-intall last night to try and get it all working and hey-presto i have gcc and gnatmake again.

will editing /etc/profile.d work with KDE / .tcshrc? what do i edit in profile.d, it's a directory? do i just type in something like $PATH=$PATH:/java/...
Old 12th March 2005, 06:58 PM
GrahamB Offline

Hi Confusednewuser!

Yes. If you wish that /java/* directory added to your search path then edit .tschrc.

For the root user, use "vi /root/.tcshrc".
Do the same for /home/<your user name>/.tcshrc. Use "vi /home/<your user name>/.tcshrc"

It is more like:
PATH=$PATH:/java/... (There is no "$" in front of the first PATH. .. . . . )
export PATH (Export means that the new value of PATH, ie $PATH, is permanently available during that login session.)
Check the new valkue of path, use "echo $PATH"

Best regards
GrahamB
Old 13th March 2005, 02:56 PM
confusednewuser Offline

editing the .tcshrc for every user is what i'm currently doing. but this seems a bad solution if, for example on a network, you had hundreds of users and you wanted to add one new thing to their path without changing their current .tcshrc.

hence i'm sure there must be a single file somewhere that allows me to set the path for all users.

does anyone know if what i'm saying is right and if so, what is this file i must edit
Old 15th March 2005, 03:58 PM
GrahamB Offline

Using a central /etc/tcshrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusednewuser
editing the .tcshrc for every user is what i'm currently doing. but this seems a bad solution if, for example on a network, you had hundreds of users and you wanted to add one new thing to their path without changing their current .tcshrc.

hence i'm sure there must be a single file somewhere that allows me to set the path for all users.

does anyone know if what i'm saying is right and if so, what is this file i must edit

Hi Confusednewuser!

I don't know tcshrc, but let's assume that basrc follows similar principles. (Instead of bashrc, replace with tcshrc!)

This is what every users .bashrc file contains. Note /etc/bashrc is a parameters file common to all users:
======================
root:merlin:/root: # cat .bashrc
======================
# .bashrc

# User specific aliases and functions
. . . . .

# Source global definitions
if [ -f /etc/bashrc ]; then
. /etc/bashrc
fi
=======================

What you could do is:
1) in the if-statement, test:
if [the /etc/bashrc is available from a central server]; if so then include its values using, ". remote:/etc/bashrc"
or:
2) you could copy remote:/etc/bashrc into local:/etc/bashrc on bootup of each local machine. Add this copy statement to /etc/init.d/rc.local.

This approach still requires that you edit each machine. But only once.

Hope this is usefull!
Registered Linux User #390687

Config: FC 6, PC1=(dead!), PC2=(server, IDE drives, RTL-8139, Audigy LS), router=(RP614v2), DSL-modem.

Tags
automounting, fc3, gcc