Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 17th March 2005, 12:50 AM
t3gah

Fedora Tops Charts in Growth Rate

(http://www.linux.org/news/2005/03/16/0008.html)
Publication: InternetNews
Date: Mar 16 2005
Reporter: Sean Michael Kerner

The latest stats released this week from research firm Netcraft illustrate that Red Hat's community-based Fedora Core Linux is the fastest-growing Linux distribution in use on Web servers. But Red Hat distros continue to own the majority of the Linux Web server market.

According to Netcraft, from September 2004 to March 2005, Fedora Core was on 405,682 sites, an increase of about 122 percent from the 182,421 sites at the beginning of the period.
Click here for full article.
Old 17th March 2005, 01:18 AM
james_in_denver Offline

LOL, guess that means that Linux is getting so stable that companies are feeling confident enough to deploy it without the service contracts.....

Hmmm, what did I miss?
Old 17th March 2005, 01:27 AM
LanceM Offline

I wonder how many of those sites are being run by fedoraforum.org's 20,000+ members.
Old 17th March 2005, 04:11 AM
crackers Offline
Retired Community Manager

As I mentioned in another thread, Netcraft only provides statistics for web-servers that it can crawl. What you're seeing is replacing older Linux systems with newer, less "expensive" distributions and the big guns running everything else behind the scenes. Trust me - Netcraft doesn't "see" my company's J2EE application servers running on Solaris and RHES; all it does see are the Apache servers sitting in "front" of them (or what BigIP tells them what they think they're seeing).
Linux User #28251 (April '93)
Professional Java Geek :cool:
Old 17th March 2005, 11:27 PM
t3gah

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackers
As I mentioned in another thread, Netcraft only provides statistics for web-servers that it can crawl. What you're seeing is replacing older Linux systems with newer, less "expensive" distributions and the big guns running everything else behind the scenes. Trust me - Netcraft doesn't "see" my company's J2EE application servers running on Solaris and RHES; all it does see are the Apache servers sitting in "front" of them (or what BigIP tells them what they think they're seeing).
Well, I only posted it because the number one Linux site on the Internet had it as news. The big guns don't usually care about such things and don't frequent forums like this because they pay for people who really know UNIX and not people like those who come to forums.

Who do big gun net managers pay for? People like my brother who has Masters degree's in Computer Programming, Computer Science, Neural Networking, and UNIX.

My bro left his admin job because no one wanted to pay him what he is worth. They wanted to pay him 177 thousand a year, but that was too low. So he started his own company, etc...

Apparently that "little gun" place hired consultants after that and they use forums to get answers and bill big time to the company that contracts them out. As for the headline. IT's publicity and postitive publicity to RH and those that like Fedora Core.

"The new guy is gaining on the other small gun distro's, as you call them Crackers."

(I bet Linus doesn't think Linux is a little gun o/s.)
Old 18th March 2005, 04:48 AM
crackers Offline

The "big guns" I'm referring to are the high-dollar servers that do all of the "heavy lifting" for the weenie fringe servers. Systems like Oracle RAQ servers, application server clusters, etc. Those systems aren't included in Netcraft surveys because they're usually not "just" web-servers and they're not directly exposed to the Internet.

The analogy is to the large field artillery pieces used in warfare. The kind that lob shells over the horizon. VERY large and powerful pices of hardware.
Old 18th March 2005, 08:58 PM
t3gah

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackers
The "big guns" I'm referring to are the high-dollar servers that do all of the "heavy lifting" for the weenie fringe servers. Systems like Oracle RAQ servers, application server clusters, etc. Those systems aren't included in Netcraft surveys because they're usually not "just" web-servers and they're not directly exposed to the Internet.

The analogy is to the large field artillery pieces used in warfare. The kind that lob shells over the horizon. VERY large and powerful pices of hardware.
As I stated, those kind of systems are bought by people who believe they should run an O/S and database app that they have to buy because that is their mentality.

I've worked with servers that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars before they added drives to the system. Bloatware for bloatware thinkers. If I remember correctly there was a deficiency that mySQL had compared to Oracle, etc.

When I worked for some major computer OEM companies debugging hardware/software systems I know that many big guns have advisors whose main goal is to use their prowess and knowledge about the big boy suff like winbloez and oracle over baby linux toy os and mysql, but in many cases customers were in fact switching over to Linux and mySQL because the cost outweighed whatever namebrand so called advantage the previous gave them. And this is behind walls that no one can see with their surveys. There are even US government sites that run Linux, but I signed a special NDA so I can't tell you who they are. I thought that was awesome when it crossed my desk.

And with that there are many other secrets about Linux penetrating markets that only those inside of major corps know about. The survey I posted is a survey of what can be accessed by them. If M$ knew just how many people have switched they would actually freak out. I myself know many and that was from working with two major pc/server companies. Just think what everyone else knows who work for the 'other guys'.

Oh, and those companies don't participate in surverys and studies, etc., so it's all 'behind closed doors'.
Old 18th March 2005, 10:19 PM
crackers Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3gah
As I stated, those kind of systems are bought by people who believe they should run an O/S and database app that they have to buy because that is their mentality.
You are so misguided about this that I am not even going to dignify it with a detailed answer.
Old 31st March 2005, 10:52 PM
sfred Offline

If you want to have a little better idea of how popular a distribution like Fedora is compared to several other distros, check out this site: http://distrowatch.com/. Along the right hand side you will see information about how many hits the site is getting. Enjoy.