Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th March 2005, 08:28 PM
LinuxOnTheEdge Offline

Perc3Di SCSI RAID + Adaptec 2810SA RAID = Fatal Grub Error?

I have a Dell PowerEdge 2650 with on-board Adaptec Perc3Di SCSI RAID controller (mirrored 18GB drives for OS). It also has an add-in Adaptec 2810SA 8-channel SATA RAID card. After installing FC3, and installing GRUB to the MBR of the mirrored 18GB drives for OS, when I boot the system, I get "GRUB Loading Stage2Read Error".

The Dell system and both RAID controllers were updated to their latest BIOS versions prior to installing the OS.

When I remove the add-in card from the system, grub works perfectly off of the on-board Adaptec Perc3Di SCSI RAID controller (mirrored 18GB drives for OS).

I don't think the latest Dell BIOS for this machine has the provision to boot from add-in cards first, or to prioritize add-in cards after the on-board devices.

I do know that the SATA add-in controller definately comes up first after POST before the on-board SCSI controller's BIOS.

I even tried (to no avail) booting into rescue mode, chrooting, and running:
"grub-install /dev/sda".

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by LinuxOnTheEdge; 18th March 2005 at 08:52 PM.
Old 18th March 2005, 08:34 PM
t3gah

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinuxOnTheEdge
I have a Dell PowerEdge 2650 with on-board Adaptec Perc3Di SCSI RAID controller (mirrored 18GB drives for OS). It also has an add-in Adaptec 2810SA 8-channel SATA RAID card. After installing FC3, and installing GRUB to the MBR of the mirrored 18GB drives for OS, when I boot the system, I get "GRUB Loading Stage2Read Error".

The Dell system and both RAID controllers were updated to their latest BIOS versions prior to installing the OS.

When I remove the add-in card from the system, grub works perfectly off of the on-board Adaptec Perc3Di SCSI RAID controller (mirrored 18GB drives for OS).

I even tried (to no avail) booting into rescue mode, chrooting, and running:
"grub-install /dev/sda".

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Did you make sure that the first device controller is the PERC? And if I am not mistake, SATA is just IDE that will take be the first device looked at in the system. Another thing, is the SATA controller a supported Dell device?

I used to work for Dell NOS/Server Support..

System config on older 2500, 2400, 2300 systems set the onboard controller as the boot device controller.

Last edited by t3gah; 18th March 2005 at 08:37 PM.
Old 18th March 2005, 08:38 PM
LinuxOnTheEdge Offline

Thanks much for the reply.

I don't know if the controller is a supported Dell device. What I do know is that I do not know how to change the boot order [I don't think the latest Dell BIOS for this machine has the provision to boot from add-in cards first, or to prioritize add-in cards after the on-board devices], and that the SATA add-in controller definately comes up first after POST before the on-board SCSI controller's BIOS. Does that answer your questions, or did I miss something?
Old 18th March 2005, 09:34 PM
t3gah

Quote:
Thanks much for the reply.

I don't know if the controller is a supported Dell device. What I do know is that I do not know how to change the boot order [I don't think the latest Dell BIOS for this machine has the provision to boot from add-in cards first, or to prioritize add-in cards after the on-board devices], and that the SATA add-in controller definately comes up first after POST before the on-board SCSI controller's BIOS. Does that answer your questions, or did I miss something?
F10 or F2 or a diskette don't do the trick? What does the page for your service tag say for support files and utils?

Yes it answers the question. The SATA controller should be the second device seen to the system bios. The onboard perc is faster than the SATA RAID controller. Why then the switch?

Here's the sys config and you can set the order ...

http://support.ap.dell.com/docs/syst...g/5g387c30.htm

One more thing. How are you connecting drives to this SATA controller when the backplane on a rack mount slim server like the 2650 has a SCSI backplane in it? Where are the SATA drives?

This isn't going to work at all. This sounds like a test from someone from Dell Engineering from RR5 or Dell NOS from RR7.

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/pro...erial+ATA+RAID
No external connectors for the SATA controller.

Last edited by t3gah; 18th March 2005 at 09:53 PM.
Old 18th March 2005, 09:59 PM
LinuxOnTheEdge Offline

More Information

Well, as suggested by various people, I booted the system into rescue mode using the install cd. Once booted, I chroot'ed, then ran:

grub
grub> root(hd0,0)
grub> setup(hd0)

This command did not return any errors. All output looked successful and normal from my experience on single-disk systems.

/boot/grub/devices.map, fdisk -l, and grub tab expansion output all confirm that /dev/sda is indeed (hd0), and root is definately (hd0,0).

By the way, I also verified that /dev/sda1 is bootable, and that /dev/sdb1 is not bootable.

Now, when I boot the system, instead of getting a grub stage 2 error, I get a grub stage 1.5 error. Does this help anyone further diagnose the problem?
Old 18th March 2005, 10:56 PM
t3gah

Quote:
Well, as suggested by various people, I booted the system into rescue mode using the install cd. Once booted, I chroot'ed, then ran:

grub
grub> root(hd0,0)
grub> setup(hd0)

This command did not return any errors. All output looked successful and normal from my experience on single-disk systems.

/boot/grub/devices.map, fdisk -l, and grub tab expansion output all confirm that /dev/sda is indeed (hd0), and root is definately (hd0,0).

By the way, I also verified that /dev/sda1 is bootable, and that /dev/sdb1 is not bootable.

Now, when I boot the system, instead of getting a grub stage 2 error, I get a grub stage 1.5 error. Does this help anyone further diagnose the problem?
Well, you see.. what has happened is this:

The hard disk controller and hard disks from the SATA have changed the boot strings for Linux. So if you know what they are you can point GRUB to it providing that the controller order in the BIOS of the Dell inst coming into play too. Also what you knew before about the config might be different
Old 18th March 2005, 11:00 PM
LinuxOnTheEdge Offline

I am having trouble understanding your last post. Could you please re-state in more detail what you mean here? Thanks, and sorry for the misunderstanding.
Old 19th March 2005, 01:19 AM
t3gah

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html

If I was at Dell right now I'd be telling you over the phone that the device you added is unsupported by Dell and that if you wanted help with Linux you'd have to pay for an incident at $109.00 per, but since you are trying to make a SATA card work in a SCSI RAID PERC3Di system that has a backplane that is SCSI, I posted the link for the GRUB manual at gnu.org since the first answer is all that you would really get from me if I was still at Dell and if someone else at Dell picked up the call. The device wont void the contract but if you have an issue in the future and you do have a valid Dell contract for service, that card will be the first thing they will take out or they won't work on your system.

(This whole setup gives me the willies.... I've heard of people using the empty bay to put in other non-Dell drives but that was in 4000 and 6000 series PowerEdge servers, not slim 0050 series.)

Tags
2810sa, adaptec, error, fatal, grub, perc3di, raid, scsi