Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th March 2005, 09:41 AM
drfunk Offline

how do i edit from terminal in fedora 3??

hey,

I just installed fedora and I dont know how to edit from the terminal at all. If someone could tell me the name of an editing program that's already on there in fedora 3 please tell me so that i can open it, edit the xorg.conf file and get GNOME working for me with my intel815 chipset. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A guide said type 'mc' as midnight commander should be on there if you installed system tools, but it doesnt work. i've also tried typing 'pico' to no avail.

thanks,
drfunk
Old 29th March 2005, 09:58 AM
mikecurry Offline

Use vi (aliased to vim by default)

Vi (or vim) is by far the most commonly used editor. It takes a while to get used to though (I still know hardly any of its tools).

If you are looking for a very similar 'simple' editor (like pico) then nano is available (I have FC2 and its on there).

Regarding midnight commander, I have the following alias that was already set for me:
Quote:
alias mc='. /usr/share/mc/bin/mc-wrapper.sh'
It may well be the case mc is not included in FC3 - see if the /usr/share/mc/ directory exists!
Old 29th March 2005, 10:22 AM
imdeemvp Offline

Gedit is the gui editor in fedora and I like nano to edit in text mode in the terminal. Open terminal, become root (type root and then enter the password) then run the command gedit. For example is you want to edit the grub you will do this:
Code:
gedit /etc/grub.conf
etc = directory, grub = the file to edit.

Easiest and most friendly desktop ever is PCLinuxOS! Includes all this apps. Just try it.

"The greater the struggle THE greater the achievment."

Do you know HIM?

If you are an idiot click here. NThis will test you linux skills :D
Old 29th March 2005, 10:45 AM
robghealey Offline

Here are the most common used commands for vi
esc i for insert mode
esc q for quit
eas wq for write and quit
esc q! for quit without saving anything new

Hope this helps...

"Deliberately choose to surround yourself with people that inspire you to greatness!"
Old 29th March 2005, 10:56 AM
HadroLepton Offline

sadly fedora does not install midnight commander (mc) by default. you have to manually select mc to be installed.

@imdeemvp
i think drfunk is having problems starting X, gedit wont be of much use then

and to complement robghealey's small introduction to vi...
http://www.eng.hawaii.edu/Tutor/vi.html
the first few chapters are enough to get simple edit jobs done with vi
Old 29th March 2005, 01:12 PM
drfunk Offline

thanks guys. I think i've fixed the graphical glitches, but what happens is that when i boot up normally it comes up with the loading stuff (network, printers then 'first-time boot configuration') and then it just hangs there. Do you know what's happening??

And yes i'm having lots of problems because i run an Intel 815 chipset graphics and Fedora 3's drivers hate it.

thanks,
drfunk
Old 29th March 2005, 01:23 PM
drfunk Offline

Friends,

I have overcome all my problems and am now writing to you from my linux desktop. Thank you all for your great help and I hope that I may become better at Fedora so I may help newcomers like you have helped me.

cheers,
drfunk

Tags
edit, fedora, terminal