Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 16th April 2005, 05:42 AM
peebhat Offline

Segmenation Violation preventing boot - FC2

Hello All,

I today upgraded(updated?) my FC2 installation using synaptic.Everything ran smooth. System was running fine. I wanted to add my new dvd-writer to the system and shutdown.

On reboot afterwards, system stops with a segmenation violation error just after enabling swap.

dvd writer is fine as I have run in rescue mode booting through dvd-writer. But i really do not know what all I can do to get back the OS running.I should really be sorry if I have to re-install as this installation is very well updated and setup to my needs. Re-setting samba,wine,autosmb and all will really be great pain, but otherwise system set-up is standard fedora.

I have tried to boot into single user mode (and other run levels too) by directly editing GRUB. Each time system stops exactly at the same point (as told above). I have checked the filesystems in rescue mode and using live CDs, to no avail. However I tried, I could not get into Interactive mode by pressing 'I' ( Does it have to be capital 'I' ? ). I have tried to figure out what action must be the system doing at the time of fault. A reading of rc.sysinit suggests, it is at the fag end of system init and about to launch into default runlevel (5). But it must go into run level on before that ?

I really appreciate any help to get back into running FC2. This I am posting with SUSE Live Cd running the system.

Parameshwara Bhat
Old 16th April 2005, 02:45 PM
tashirosgt Offline

Did you add the DVD by swapping it with a CD drive? Or did you add it as an additional drive?
Was there a successful reboot after the ubdate? Or is it possible it was the update and not the adding of the DVD writer that caused the problem?
Old 16th April 2005, 02:58 PM
AndyGreen Offline

You didn't point synaptic to the Development repo by any chance?

You may be able to get back to a root prompt like this:

Pressing 'a' at the grub screen

append

to the kernel commandline.
Old 16th April 2005, 03:01 PM
peebhat Offline

hello tashirosgt,

I added dvdwriter as a new drive on ide1, as master. old cdrom I made slave.

I havenot had a successful reboot after adding this drive. I had happened to update my system just yesterday morning and in the evening I shutdown to put the drive in. Till it was shutdown, system exhibited no symptoms of problem.

It is clear adding of the dvd writer is not the problem, for I disconnected both cdrom and dvd writer from the system and tried to boot without success. Knoppix and SUSE live CDs as well as fedora rescue Cd are booting fine from the very dvd-writer.

I could not isolate the offnding program as interactive booting I could not get at all.

Thank you,
peebhat
Old 16th April 2005, 03:10 PM
peebhat Offline

Hello AndyGreen,

No, I have tried that method. I appended 1 to kernel line after rhgb. I receive the same error.

My synaptic doesn't point to development repos, but points to Dag Wier's repo apart from official ( Freshrpms, download.fedora.us )

I doubt system is not coming out of rc.sysinit. I guess the sequence is, rc.sysinit and then rc and rc.1 itself to bring up runlevel 1. I am not very sure about this.

peebhat

Last edited by peebhat; 16th April 2005 at 03:13 PM.
Old 16th April 2005, 03:18 PM
AndyGreen Offline

Time to boot off CD1 of FC3 CDs with "linux rescue"
Old 16th April 2005, 06:52 PM
AndyGreen Offline

Hey.... it could be RHGB bringing up X when then blows up. Do the grub a thing but remove the RHGB token and see what happens.
Old 18th April 2005, 05:43 AM
peebhat Offline

Hello, it's not even that. I have tried removing rhgb token from the grub line. It doesn't change.
Old 18th April 2005, 05:43 AM
peebhat Offline

Hello, it's not even that. I have tried removing rhgb token from the grub line. It doesn't change.

peebhat

Tags
boot, fc2, preventing, segmenation, violation