Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 28th April 2005, 04:13 AM
tashirosgt Offline

Proper way to give ethX MAC address Y ?

We have a "raidzone" raid array whose OS looks to be based on redhat from about the year 2000. It has 3 ethernet interfaces. The machine seems to boot and associate eth0,eth1,eth2 with the same MAC addresses everytime, but I would like to make sure this happens (or find out where it is made to happen). What is the standard "redhat way" of doing this?
Old 28th April 2005, 05:58 PM
tashirosgt Offline

The man on nameif suggests that the mapping of ethX to MAC address Y should be done in /etc/mactab. I've never encountered a machine that had such a file.
Old 28th April 2005, 07:56 PM
tashirosgt Offline

Rebooting shows /etc/mactab has no effect.
Many of the initialization scripts like /etc/rc.sysinit use the varioius /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth* files. Can I put a MAC address on those? I don't find any man page that says what keywords can be used in such files.