Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th April 2005, 04:28 AM
vishnumrao Offline

Real player

I had installed real player and have been using it to play my mp3s I installed xine and ogle from freshrpms.net. Now I find that I cannot see the real player icon in the dropdown menu in the sound and video menu.I guess it can contain only limited number of icons. How can I increase the number of icons that are shown in the drop down menus. I can play it from the terminal by realplay. and works fine too.

Also I do not use helix player and rythmbox. How can I remove them.

Thanking you in advance,
Cheers,
Vishnu Murahari Rao.
Running FC6 on AMD64 3000+, Asus K8N Mobo, 1.5Gb PC3200 ram, Nvidia Fx 5200 128Mb Graphics card, SB Audigy 2 Value sound card, Two Samsung ATA 100 hard disks of 160 and 80 Gb,D-Link DWL-G510 wireless pci card and Creative Inspire P7800 7.1 channel speakers.

Last edited by vishnumrao; 29th April 2005 at 04:31 AM.
Old 29th April 2005, 04:56 AM
nordicart Offline

Hi,

I'll start with how to remove HelixPlayer and rythmbox. Open up a console shell and type the following command to remove them:

su -c "rpm -e HelixPlayer rhythmbox"

It will ask for your root password.

The fedora menu entries are created by applications installing files named desktop files. The menu system is created from these installed files. As far as I know there is no limit to the number of menu entries (or desktop files). (If your curious to see them, most of them are located within the file folder /usr/share/applications.)

Realplayer and HelixPlayer were developed from within the same project. The strange part is that each of them install the same desktop file with the same name. Thus if you had installed RealPlayer first, when you later install or upgrade HelixPlayer it overwrites the realplayer desktop file.

To correct this, after you have uninstalled HelixPlayer, type the following in a console shell:

su -c "cp /usr/local/RealPlayer/share/realplay.desktop /usr/share/application/realplay.desktop"

This should create the menu listing for RealPlayer.
Old 29th April 2005, 05:34 AM
vishnumrao Offline

Hey nodicart,

I did try the rpm -e method and the yum remove method. I was missing the block letters in helixplayer (the H and P) and was making a small mistake in the spelling of rhythmbox. I corrected the spelling and sucessfully unistalled both.

As for real player the files had been overwritten by a helixplayer upgrade. Now everythings fine.

Thank you very much.
Really appreciate it.
Cheers,
Vishnu Murahari Rao.
Running FC6 on AMD64 3000+, Asus K8N Mobo, 1.5Gb PC3200 ram, Nvidia Fx 5200 128Mb Graphics card, SB Audigy 2 Value sound card, Two Samsung ATA 100 hard disks of 160 and 80 Gb,D-Link DWL-G510 wireless pci card and Creative Inspire P7800 7.1 channel speakers.

Tags
player, real