Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th April 2005, 08:41 PM
cruiseoveride Offline

Talking Rhythm Box, pathetic

i got a 54gb folder of music, i drop this folder into

xmms it takes 2mins48s
winamp it takes over 9mins (got tierd of timing)
rhytmbox hangs after 20seconds

the rhytm man seems to go through 8 folders and get stuck in my 50Cent folder, i checked out the folder
and there wasnt anything funny in it, filenames were the same type as the other folders, nothing fishy at all but rhytm box dies when it sees it

i want a replacement for xmms, getting a little bored of it, and i dont want to run BMP, and amarok is a little confused at the moment, so i tried rhytmbox, and it sucksssssssssssssssss
Get Counted at http://counter.li.org/
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AMD X3 710, ASUS M4N78-Pro, Visiontek ATi HD4870, Corsair 2GB Dual Channel Kit, 6x500Gb Western Digital Disks LVM2+RAID5
Old 29th April 2005, 08:42 PM
AndyGreen Offline

Apparently it drops dead on .wma
Old 29th April 2005, 08:49 PM
cruiseoveride Offline

rhythm box i feel has good intentions but not on the right track at the moment, need more active attention
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AMD X3 710, ASUS M4N78-Pro, Visiontek ATi HD4870, Corsair 2GB Dual Channel Kit, 6x500Gb Western Digital Disks LVM2+RAID5
Old 29th April 2005, 08:55 PM
AndyGreen Offline

I do feel it is one of those apps that got in because it is using Gnome libs, sort of like the idiot nephew who gets a job in the family business.

Anyway, if you feel it needs more hackers, here is your chance to do the right thing with it:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/...ad.php?t=52818
Old 29th April 2005, 09:02 PM
nordicart Offline

The dag repo has a rhythmbox package with a .wma patch (rhythmbox-0.8.8-wma-mpc.patch) applied. It is located at:
http://dag.wieers.com/packages/rhythmbox/

Also rhythmbox can be built with either gstreamer as the backend engine or xine. By default for FC3 it is built with gstreamer. Perhaps a package built with xine as the backend may solve your problems. I haven't found a FC3 package for it but you might want to try a FC2 package at:
ftp://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpm...hythmbox-xine/
I don't known if there is a compatibility/dependency problem with it on FC3.
Old 29th April 2005, 09:32 PM
Freddan Offline

I don't know why you are confused about amaroK, it works fine for me, at least through Gstreamer and kde. The only thing that disturbes me is the buttons in the playerwindow, those can be "miscolored" if you change style in windows, but otherwise it works fine for me.
Why don't you like BMP ?

/Freddan
Old 29th April 2005, 09:57 PM
nordicart Offline

FYI I just downloaded and tried rhythmbox-xine. Through dependencies you need to install faad2-2.0 for FC2. The package has a dependency error such that you need to install it with --nodeps but it seems to run better than the gstreamer version.

The problem may be with the gstreamer backend more than the rhythmbox program. When I imported a folder of audio files with the gstreamer vesion the program choked, but when I did it with the xine version it did not.

Also the recent version of xine-lib, 1.0.1, has been updated with improved handling of .wma files. You can get a package of the new version at:
ftp://apt.kde-redhat.org/apt/kde-redhat/3/RPMS.testing/
Old 29th April 2005, 10:05 PM
buddha Offline

I agree with you about rhythmbox. It has often crashed or hung when importing music directories or listening to shoutcast streams. When importing it doesn't seem to be able to safely ignore file types that it doesn't recognize. Very poor programming. I really hesitate to update rhythmbox for fear that something else will break.

It's too bad that there are not better media players included by default with FC.
Old 29th April 2005, 10:09 PM
cruiseoveride Offline

just

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddan
I don't know why you are confused about amaroK, it works fine for me, at least through Gstreamer and kde. The only thing that disturbes me is the buttons in the playerwindow, those can be "miscolored" if you change style in windows, but otherwise it works fine for me.
Why don't you like BMP ?
/Freddan
i am not confused about amarok, i said amarok is confused, qt has never looked stable to me, and BMP is just xmms with GTK2 nothing great at all
Old 30th April 2005, 12:41 AM
Freddan Offline

Yhea, sorry my mistake, you wrote that. It must be me who are a little bit confused I rather like amaroK, but xmms is clearly a lot more stable cause I heared that alot of people have had problems with amaroK, but for some reason I can't get my sound to just sound right with xmms.
Bmp I like alot, but that's the great thing about linux, there's something for everyone n' you get alot of choices.

/Freddan

Last edited by Freddan; 30th April 2005 at 12:56 AM.
Old 30th April 2005, 05:49 AM
zeos Offline

the way i use rythmbox is to make playlists with xmms and then load those playlists with rythmbox. if your wondering why i use rythmbox, its because the audioscrobbler plugin for xmms doesnt like curl 7.12 and i dont have problem using another program until curl 7.13 is released in the wild or at least out of the developement folders.
Old 30th April 2005, 06:36 AM
TheCowGod Offline

Try Madman, http://madman.sourceforge.net Best media library ever. If you decide to try it download the FC2 rpm from their website. It works fine in FC3

edit: wrong link
Old 1st May 2005, 10:13 AM
cruiseoveride Offline

Smile thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCowGod
Try Madman, http://madman.sourceforge.net Best media library ever. If you decide to try it download the FC2 rpm from their website. It works fine in FC3

edit: wrong link
after i tried madman, it was like instant love, just add mp3
i think xmms and madman was a match made in heaven, now i am truly satisfied with my jukebox

thanks everybody
Old 16th May 2005, 12:42 AM
mrtaber Offline

Out of curiosity, I installed Amarok. I must say, I was impressed...until it just up and quit playing. Complained about "another device controlling /dev/dsp." Since, from what I've read, this looked to be more trouble than I felt like dealing with, off it came. Any chance that things will be better in FC 4? Or was there an easy fix for the /dev/dsp problem?

Mark
Old 23rd May 2005, 06:18 PM
drunkahol Offline

FC4 Media Player

I've installed FC4 Test 3 for AMD64 on one of my machines and I've got to say I'm disappointed.

Rythmbox appears to have had no improvements since FC3 (or perhaps even FC2!).

Amarok has seen some development, but I'd prefer to use a native Gnome tool.

Is there nothing that will provide the functionallity of Amarok, but as a native Gnome app?

While I'm at it - a rant about ID Tagging . . .

Why oh why is it not possible to enter any number of tags against a music track?

i.e. <Performer>Freddy Mercury</Performer>
<Performer>John Deacon</Performer>
<Performer>Brian May</Performer>
<Performer>Roger Taylor</Performer>
<Group>Queen</Group>
<LeadSinger>Freddy Mercury</LeadSinger>

so that any number of artists, lyricists, composers etc can be allocated against a track. The richer the data stored, the more can be done with it.

Duncan

Tags
box, pathetic, rhythm