Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 12th May 2005, 09:48 PM
LaVacaLoca Offline

Question CUPS fails to load during boot.

Hi. I've only recently been having problems with cups. When booting, the computer freezes while loading the daemon. So I held in the power button and waited for it to turn off after staring at the screen waiting for it to move for about teh minutes. I rebooter into FC3 and forced the root filesystem integrity check, which passed. I went into interactive startup and chose to not start cups. Then everything else went fine. I went into the GUI printer configuration and removed all the printers there (FC3 had configured them automatically during installation). I don't know why cups did that, or if what I did by deleting the configurations for the printers would help. I'm afraid to restart my computer in non-interactive startup because then if cups fails I need to reboot and do another filesystem integrity check .Any light shed on the issue would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 12th May 2005, 09:55 PM
artklein

Hi,

Try starting your computer without allowing cups to start and then type the follwing in a console shell to see if there are any error messages while starting cups:

su -
/sbin/service cups start

In a normal start of cups you should get the following response:

Starting cups: [ OK ]

Also check to see if the file /etc/hosts contains the following entries:

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain
Old 12th May 2005, 10:45 PM
LaVacaLoca Offline

This is what my shell looked like, more or less:
---
$ su -
Password:
# /sbin/service cups start
Starting cups:
# cat /etc/hosts
# Do not remove the following line, or various programs
# that require network functionality will fail.
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
#
---
It said "Starting cups:", but the "[ OK ]" did not appear; I recieved no warnings, however. And my /etc/hosts file does contain that line.

?
Old 12th May 2005, 11:08 PM
artklein

Any errors encountered by cups are logged to the following files:

/var/log/cups/error_log
/var/log/cups/error_log.1
/var/log/cups/error_log.2
/var/log/cups/error_log.3
/var/log/cups/error_log.4

Look for any errors in general or any problems loading configuration files.

Also check to make sure you have the following services enables at startup (You can use the Service Management program located in the menu, -->System Settings-->Server Settings-->Service Management.)

cups
cups-config-daemon
messagebus
network
Old 12th May 2005, 11:13 PM
artklein

You can also check to see if kudzu, the hardware detection and configuration program run at startup, has detected your printer correctly. Look at the file /etc/sysconfig/hwconf for the section for your printer. It will look like:

class: PRINTER
bus: PARALLEL
detached: 0
device: lp0
driver: unknown
desc: "Hewlett-Packard DeskJet 710 Series"
pnpmodel: DESKJET 710C
pnpmfr: HEWLETT-PACKARD
pnpmodes: SCP,VLINK
pnpdesc: Hewlett-Packard DeskJet 710 Series

Tags
boot, cups, fails, load