Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th May 2005, 12:25 PM
weave Offline

sending an email from FC3 with php

Hi All,

I have this working at work but it's a windows version of php 5 and 2003 IIS 6. I've written a simplistic script that accepts a http variable reads mysql for that variable and spits out a specific email for that variable. I'm unable to get this working with under linux though (apache 2.0.53 / php 5.0.3).

The database is being read but the mail isn't getting out. I checked sendmail configurations but nothing jumped out at me to change other then the smarthost tag and the access file. Any ideas ?

thanks,
Old 16th May 2005, 03:23 AM
Jman Offline

Be sure you have a sendmail_path defined to your sendmail command in php.ini. Refer to the documentation. Also check mail server logs.
Old 17th May 2005, 02:42 PM
weave Offline

Hi Jman,

The sendmail_path was left as the default value ..... think it was /usr/bin/sendmail -i -t but I never changed it. The SMTP setting also default value was localhost and port 25. The mail logs were empty but root did get an email failure saying that the from domain wasn't found. I don't have a registered domain for this server since it's a test environment. Is there a requirement that the server be a registered domain before smtp at my isp will allow it ?

thanks,
Old 17th May 2005, 02:50 PM
jim Offline
Retired Community Manager & Avid Drinker Of Suds

See andy greens how to for postfix

I had simular issues with sendmail
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=53204
Registered Linux User: #376813
Western NY
My linux site
Smolt Profile

please remember to say if you problem was solved

Did you get your id10t award today?
Old 18th May 2005, 01:41 AM
weave Offline

Hi Jim,

Well.... Andy's walkthrough didn't work. I was only able to get to the part where I restarted postfix and it sorry to say failed.

What I did since I had this nagging feeling that all sendmail needed was a proper domain I registered a freebee with dyndns and made sure I could ping it from the net. Then I reenabled sendmail ..... one problem though the sendmail started but the client failed..... anyways I ran my phpscript and it worked..... thank god. I still needed to make sure the from string portion had a From: in it and all is well. I'm able to click on an client side html button and it fires up a php script on my server which reads a mysql database for a perticular record and emails a response.... life is good !

Much thanks for your input and Andy's for this matter.

Tags
email, fc3, php, sending