Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 25th May 2005, 09:46 AM
Vimal Kumar Offline

Folder contents could not be displayed, Samba Nautilus FC3 and XP

On FC3 I've set up Samba to access my XP laptop. I've used smbmount to mount my xp shares and I can access the xp shares this way. When I use nautilus until 2 days back I could open up the Windows Network, see my workgroup and my XP machine, but when I double click on the machine it throws me this error "Sorry, the folder contents could not be displayed. You do not have permissions to Windows network//Vimal".

I have a user on the FC3 box with the same user name and password as my XP "administrator" user.

Today , I double click the "Computer" icon, I get a window with "Windows Network" icon, when I double click this, I get an empty window (0 items)
However when I type smb://Xpmachine name/Share I'm prompted for user name, domain and password, and lets me in when I enter these.It works the same no matter which FC3 username I use.

Looks like samba is fine but something's screwed up with nautilus.

Also I don't know what caused the change between 2 days back and today. I did uncomment the "encrypt = yes" line today, but I think it happened even before I made this change.
Old 26th May 2005, 05:56 PM
Vimal Kumar Offline

Hasn't anybody configured Samba to work with XP on FC3
Old 26th May 2005, 07:34 PM
brandor Offline

You're getting more than I am. I'd like to be able to hit windows shares from FC3 but I haven't found any way to do it other than using smbclient or mounting with smbfs.

It'd be nice if I could just use the windows share option in the dialog for connect to server... maybe someday they'll get it right.
Old 26th May 2005, 08:08 PM
thraldur Offline

I just created an auth.smb file and edited /etc/fstab so I could see my Windows shares.

This is what I added to fstab:
//192.168.253/hd1 /mnt/network/celeron/hd1 smbfs nosuid,nodev,noexec,credentials=/etc/samba/auth.smb,uid=sempron0,gid=sempron0,fmask=664,dmask =755 0 0
//192.168.0.251/hd1 /mnt/network/matrix/hd1 smbfs nosuid,nodev,noexec,credentials=/etc/samba/auth.smb,uid=sempron0,gid=sempron0,fmask=664,dmask =755 0 0
//192.168.0.246/hd1 /mnt/network/compaq/hd1 smbfs nosuid,nodev,noexec,credentials=/etc/samba/auth.smb,uid=sempron0,gid=sempron0,fmask=664,dmask =755 0 0

(By the way, beginning with // and ending with 0 is one line. It displays differently because the line gets wrapped to the next line - //...all the way to 0 is one line in fstab)

The first part of each line shows the location of the shares, e.g. //192.168.0.246/hd1 . I would enter the hostnames but for some reason this would not work for me. The next part is the mountpoint, e.g. /mnt/network/compaq/hd1 . I had to create the directories /mnt/network/celeron/hd1, /mnt/network/sempron/hd1, etc. before I could mount to them.

credentials=... shows where the user and pass for each share is stored - /etc/samba/auth.smb. You need to create this file (gedit /etc/samba/auth.smb) and add to it the user and password needed to access the share:

username=user
password=pass

Remember to leave a blank line at the end of this file.

uid and gid is the user id and group id for the shares (I think... I am not sure about this one.)

After doing all this, test it as root (su -) with the command: service netfs restart to see if the samba shares are mounted correctly.

If Fedora fails to boot after doing all this, enter interactive startup and make sure netfs is not started, then troubleshoot after you've booted.

If this succeeds, then straight after you boot you are able to browse your samba shares right away.

P.S. If any of this is wrong somebody please correct me, thank you.
Old 27th May 2005, 03:54 AM
gavinw6662 Offline

i have the same problem, i remember with FC2 that was a problem too, and if I am not entirely mistaken, someone had mentioned it being a nautilus problem.
Old 27th May 2005, 08:14 AM
thraldur Offline

It's to do with the firewall. Open Applications->System Settings->Security Level and in other ports add:

137:udp, 137:tcp, 139:udp, 139:tcp, 445:udp, 445:tcp

More details here: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla....cgi?id=133478
Old 28th May 2005, 08:12 PM
Vimal Kumar Offline

thraldur
I have my fstab setup the same way. Let me repeat - I am able to mount and access the shares using smb. My problem is that I am unable to do this using the nautilus window. I am able to see my Windows machine in the Network folder, but when I double click on the machine name, I get: "the folder contents could not be displayed. You do not have the permissions necessary to view the contents of "Windows Network: machine".

I have no problem mounting the xp share using smbmount and accesing the files this way. Only Nautilus appears to be broken.
Old 28th May 2005, 08:59 PM
thraldur Offline

Well it could be the firewall bug - see my earlier post (#6), try opening those ports. Otherwise I guess I can't help, sorry.
Old 29th May 2005, 02:40 AM
Vimal Kumar Offline

Thanks, but I already have these ports opened up.
Old 29th May 2005, 09:58 AM
thraldur Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vimal Kumar
Today , I double click the "Computer" icon, I get a window with "Windows Network" icon, when I double click this, I get an empty window (0 items)
Hey, now that check my Fedora computer, it seems I have the same problem, which is quite strange - since when I first checked some time ago, nothing was wrong. I think one of the system updates could have caused this, but I never noticed since I have launchers for all my mountpoints, and my network shares are mounted on startup, so I only have to double click on the launchers when I need to access them.

Also I noticed that when trying to mount network drives, using their hostnames also doesn't work: 'Sorry, couldn't display all the contents of "Windows Network: matrix".' But using their ip addresses work, so something is worng in that my Fedora computer can't recognise the host names of the Windows computers. However, after entering the Network folder, I can connect to a server by clicking File->Connect to Server, choosing Windows share, and typing the ip address.

I'm going to format and install Fedora Core 4 after it comes out, and see if the bug gets fixed with that.
Old 31st May 2005, 04:20 AM
Flyboy917 Offline

Is the folder you are sharing inside a folder you are not? i.e. /homes/user/sambashare? If homes and user don't have guest permisions, but /sambashare does, you will not be able to access it.
File permisions are not recursive by default. Go and set all the folders in the chain to sticky 1777.
If that works, go back an set up recursive file permissions properly.
That solved my problem with the same issue.

Flyboy
Old 4th June 2005, 05:38 PM
Vimal Kumar Offline

do you have the entries in /etc/hosts
Old 9th February 2009, 02:28 AM
ohiomike Offline

I just fought with the same problem on one of my machines (4 worked, 1 didn't).
I turns out I had a typo in the hosts file (110 instead of 101) for the machine that is the
master browser on the network.

Tags
contents, displayed, fc3, folder, nautilus, samba