Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th June 2005, 01:06 PM
prashant Offline

Equivalent of CONIO.H in linux

Hi ppl !!
I am wondering that whatever programs i am makin in linux including "conio.h" in my program are giving the errors that conio.h does not exists so i could not fi gure out whats wrong with the file when it works in the windows platform eaasily without any problems
Whats wrong with the file in Linux platform. Does some one has anyidea of whats going wrong with it and what can be the possible solution of the problem. Thanx in advance.
Old 4th June 2005, 01:35 PM
raghavendra Offline

Hi
I dont think conio.h is available....... is specific to Borland / Inprise ("turbo") compilers.
Just delete the getch(), clrscr() function if you have in your program and compile

Last edited by raghavendra; 4th June 2005 at 01:38 PM.
Old 4th June 2005, 01:41 PM
raghavendra Offline

You might also be interested in ncurses
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/NCURSES-Pr...ro.html#WHATIS
That might help
Old 4th June 2005, 05:10 PM
prashant Offline

Yes I am very much interested in "curses.h" as i have found soe thing on net regarding it istead of conio but can't exactly relate what is it all about.
Old 4th June 2005, 11:40 PM
markkuk Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant
I am wondering that whatever programs i am makin in linux including "conio.h" in my program are giving the errors that conio.h does not exists so i could not fi gure out whats wrong with the file when it works in the windows platform eaasily without any problems
Linux is not Windows. That's the first thing you must learn.
This means any Windows-specific libraries, APIs and header files just don't exist.
Old 6th June 2005, 07:03 AM
Daverz Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant
Hi ppl !!
Whats wrong with the file in Linux platform. Does some one has anyidea of whats going wrong with it and what can be the possible solution of the problem. Thanx in advance.
The old DOS conio assumed a single user sitting in front of the console. Unix was a multi-user, networked OS from the beginning, so that wouldn't work, a more general (and thus harder to configure) terminal handling API is needed called termios.

I think the book Linux Application Development does a really good job at covering this:

http://www.danlj.org/mkj/lad/contents.html

They cover basic TTY handling and the S-Lang screen handling library, which is an alternative to ncurses. At an even higher level, there's the newt library.
Another thing to check out is the dialog utility

man dialog

Tags
conioh, equivalent, linux