Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th June 2005, 12:20 AM
easethan Offline

Multiple Video Card issue - original video card not detected

I am trying to achieve a multiple monitor setup(with the screen spanning both monitors).

I have FC3 and am using an onboard video card, which all I know is it's a VIA.

The card I am trying to plug in is an ATI Rage card.

When I plug in my rage and boot the original video output is blank, so I switched the monitor to the rage. This shows the normal output, but during boot when kudzu opens up, it first tells me that my original card has been removed(which is quite impossible since it is onboard) and then tells me about the added video card.

I am releltively new to Linux, but have been initiated through the process of setting up a WLAN Adapter, so I know how to make my way around on the system.

Please help!
Old 10th June 2005, 04:39 AM
easethan Offline

Could this possibly be due to a lack of drivers, so Linux does not recognize the card?
Old 10th June 2005, 04:52 AM
gavinw6662 Offline

are you using applications>system settings>display -- then the dual head tab to set it up (menu options for gnome)?? Or are you simply tying to plug all the cards in a hope they work?? Better yet, with the way you described things above, are you telling us that the via worked previously (without the rage card in)?? And then when you put the rage card in, the via doesn't work?? A little more clarification please.
Old 10th June 2005, 05:04 AM
easethan Offline

The dual head tab doesn't help me because Linux doesn't detect the new card. I got my onboard back as the main video(it was a bios setting that switched it to the PCI card), but Linux still doesn't detect the extra card. I need to figure out how to get Linux to detect the card then I can move on to trying to setup the dual head thing.
Old 10th June 2005, 10:28 PM
easethan Offline

This has been here since yesterday, and not many views so I'm gonna bump it up to see if anyone can help now.
Old 11th June 2005, 01:03 AM
JLF_65 Offline

Nearly all motherboards automatically disable onboard video when a video board is plugged in. It's due to the fact that you can only have one AGP device operating at once. If you want multiple video cards in your computer, they HAVE to be PCI.
Old 11th June 2005, 03:47 AM
easethan Offline

My other video card is a PCI card. I don't know if anyone is understanding my problem:

Linux does not detect my PCI video card. I don't have any idea why.

Now I hope someone may understand?

Tags
card, detected, multiple, original, video