Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 16th June 2005, 03:41 AM
JujitsuFreak Offline

Triple booting; Ubuntu, FC4 & XPee

Could you direct me to a link providing details on how to triple boot the above the three? Please note, I have Ubuntu and XPee already on the system.

Xpee takes up 30 gig's, Ubuntu takes 20 gigs. Ubuntu created approximately 200meg's for itself - another partition, and I have another 20 gig's waiting for FC4. I also have 7 gig's unallocated.

My main concern is when installing FC4 I don't by some chance wipe out Ubuntu or Vindoze. Is it as easy as clicking the appropriate partition and installing it to that space?

Will Grub be reinstalled because of FC4? Or, will it know that there is already a Grub on the system and skip this step and move on to install properly?

Will the swap be made larger automatically or will I have to resize it?

Thank you
Old 16th June 2005, 04:06 AM
Illuminate Offline

My main advice is to take those 20 GB and unallocate them, putting them with the 7GB of already unallocated space. If you have a Knoppix LiveCD, you should be able to resize the partition with the QTParted, and then that should unallocate the space.

This is off the top of my head and it might..should work. I've never really gotten a PC to tripple boot, only dual-boot, and I used Parition Magic for my resizing on Windows. I wouldn't know what program to use inorder to resize a partition on Ubuntu. XP'ee'...Parition Magic would be the best, but you'd need to buy it. The demo doesn't apply the changes.

I hope this helped some. Otherwise, someone else with probably a lot more experiance than me will come along and help.

I don't know about the other things though, sorry.
Linux user #392298 - Get Counted

Illuminate v - To enlighten intellectually or spiritually; enable to understand.
Old 16th June 2005, 04:06 AM
rayyes Offline

i have a similar set up with FC3 and XP, and just recently FC4.

The way i did it was install FC4 on unused disk space as if it was the only OS. Once i logged in, i mounted my FC3 boot partition and took a look at the menu.lst there. I think its /boot/grub/menu.lst or grub.conf (im in XP now...cant confirm it).

I simply copied the entries for FC3 and XP from the FC3 boot partition menu.lst, and pasted them into the menu.lst for FC4 which i had just installed (into the /boot partition for FC4).

It worked like a charm and i can now boot all 3 OSes.

Perhaps you can use a similar strategy...if someone knows of a better way please tell me

edit: re-read your post and if you make sure to install on UNUSED disk space then you have nothing to worry about. Just don't mess with the partitions already there. for the swap, if you point it to the same partition used by the other distro, then no more will be created. Otherwise create another swap partition for the new distro.

Last edited by rayyes; 16th June 2005 at 04:11 AM.
Old 16th June 2005, 07:16 AM
mkoljack Offline

I just installed FC4 as a 3rd OS with Suse and XP.

Suse wrote the grub.conf file so I didn't want to mess that up because it works perfect. So here it is:

Put in FC4 disk 1 or DVD; when the Anaconda installer gets to partitioning, left click on the 20 gigs unallocated; click "New"; select ext3 for filesystem and / for mount point. You could also create a separate partition for /home if you want (I did not). Sounds like you have a SWAP already with Ubuntu. FC4 can share it with Ubuntu (do nothing with SWAP). Next, when you get to GRUB, click on advanced; then choose "No Bootloader". Then you should be directed to pkg selection and final install.

Once install is complete, boot into Unbuntu, get to /boot/grub/grub.conf or menu.lst (whichever Ubuntu uses), edit the file and add the FC4 boot entry:

title Fedora Core (2.6.11-1.1369_FC4)
root (hd1,4)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.11-1.1369.img

Remember that you must change the root (hd1,4) for your particular partitioning scheme. In my case, FC4 root (/) is on /dev/hdb5 which is (hd1,4) in grub language.

After you make that entry reboot and choose FC4 from the GRUB menu and you should be in.

Good Luck!

Fedora Core 6/Suse 10.1

Last edited by mkoljack; 16th June 2005 at 07:18 AM.

Tags
booting, fc4, triple, ubuntu, xpee