Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 26th June 2005, 10:12 PM
NCortes Offline

Unhappy Help with Master Boot Record

Hi,
I use Fedora Core 3 just for two weeks now. I was in win xp media center trying to give more space to the linux partition. At that time an error occured and I was advised to restart. It seems that tha partitions were destroyed.
A friend come over and format my drive, what happens is that linux is no longer there and since was the main boot my laptop does no start. I need to change the boot sequence for windows, so I can install everything again.
Although, my recover cd only allows me to format and install a new windows, not allowing to boot to the win.
Any ideas how I can fix this problem? I really do not know what to do. The only thing I can see when I turn the laptop on is a dark screen saying the follow:
GNU GRBU version 0.95
[minimal bash-like line editing is supported. For th first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists the possible completions of a device/filename.]
grub>

and cannot do anything else...

Sincerely
NCortes
Old 26th June 2005, 11:25 PM
spiderhosts Offline

Hello,

If your Linux Partition has been destroyed then your best option is to install again.

Once you install Fedora again it will automatically restore your MBR and will allow you to boot either your old Windows installation of the new Linux one.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Bechara Hitti
Old 26th June 2005, 11:27 PM
NCortes Offline

Hello,
yes I have :o(
I tried to install fedora again Im not able. Although, I just found a cd with win xp and can access the recovery console to change the MBR, but I do not know how to do that. Can you guide?

Sincerely,
Old 26th June 2005, 11:54 PM
spiderhosts Offline

Quote:
I tried to install fedora again Im not able.
- Why not? What error message are you getting?

Quote:
Although, I just found a cd with win xp and can access the recovery console to change the MBR, but I do not know how to do that. Can you guide?
- I am afraid I am not familiar with Windows. But I've google the following link for you:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...d_tro_evwd.asp

Hopefully that will allow you to get back on track.

Bechara Hitti
Old 26th June 2005, 11:55 PM
NCortes Offline

Thanks
Its done.
Recovered everything. Thank you a lot!
Old 27th June 2005, 12:38 AM
spiderhosts Offline

No problem

Bechara Hitti
Old 27th June 2005, 05:25 AM
wso_angel Offline