Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 28th June 2005, 05:04 PM
bohr Offline

samba file/directory permissions

Hi All

I have a FC3 running as a samba server. I have two people on XP pro machines that are sharing a directory. Both want to be able to read and write to the others files. If Person1 writes a Word file and then Person 2 tries to write/edit it, it gives a read only message. Here is my smb.conf share section

[private]
comment = private directory
path = /directory/private
valid users = Person1 Person2
public = no
writable = yes
printable = no
read only = no
browseable = yes
create mask = 0777

I have Person1 and Person2 in the same group and the private directory. What am I missing? Could it be who owns the private directory (which is Person1)?

Also, if Person1 creates a directory under the private directory it gives rwxr-xr-x permissions. How can i force it to make it writable? Many thanks!!!
Old 30th June 2005, 02:29 AM
SharedMedia Offline

Question SubDir..

Ummm... Hmmmm.. I once had this issue, however what I did (might work for you) is create a general "god - but not root" user not associated to private 1 & 2, create a general group like "shares" that owns a dir and give that general "god" user you made full 0777 rights. Then add private 1 & 2 to his/her group..

Kinda like a hierchy..

+ --------- General "GodUser"
++ ------------ owns the group "shares" / dir
+++ ------------------ private1 user is added to "shares" group
+++ ------------------ private2 user is added to "shares" group

Whomever creates items in the "shares" dir Inherits the same permissions...
Best thought I have at this time... very good question though.
Old 22nd August 2005, 07:38 PM
Brian W Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohr
I have a FC3 running as a samba server. I have two people on XP pro machines that are sharing a directory. Both want to be able to read and write to the others files. If Person1 writes a Word file and then Person 2 tries to write/edit it, it gives a read only message.

Also, if Person1 creates a directory under the private directory it gives rwxr-xr-x permissions. How can i force it to make it writable?
I have the exact same problem. See my post: http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73966

The logic that SharedMedia suggested works fine if you're accessing the shares via SSH, but the behavior is different when accessing the share via Samba.

Please help!

Thanks, Brian

Linux: The Choice of a GNU Generation

Tags
file or directory, permissions, samba