Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 13th July 2005, 03:52 AM
cheetahman Offline

Problems with Dual Booting when installing Fedora Core 4

I am trying to dual boot Fedora Core 4 with Windows Xp Home and during installing it.

Automatic Partitioning

Could not allocate requested partitions:

Partitioning failed: Could not allocate partitions as primary partitions.

The following errors occurred with your partitioning:

You have not defined a root partition(/), which is required for installation of Fedora Core to continue

This can happen if there is not enough space on your hard drive (s) for the installation.

You can choose a different automatic partitioning option, or click 'Back' to select manual partitioning

Press 'OK' to continue.
Old 13th July 2005, 05:53 PM
shuvorim Offline

FC4 already told you all things in that error message. You may not have any available space for FC4 on your hard drive. Try deleting your last drive through the Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management. It'll free some space for FC4. Now try installing FC4 with automatic partition. It should work now. Please note that FC4 will need at least 2.5 GB for a graphical desktop installation and a full installation will cost you about 7 GB.
Old 13th July 2005, 09:59 PM
cheetahman Offline

I have one Windows Partition and what do you mean by deleting your last drive and I want to dual boot it with Xp.
Old 13th July 2005, 10:05 PM
vishnumrao Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheetahman
I have one Windows Partition and what do you mean by deleting your last drive and I want to dual boot it with Xp.
I assume you have only one single partition on your computer in which you have Xp.

Before you try installing FC4, go to your Xp boot and using some partitioning software create a new partion out of your one single partion. Then start installation of FC4. Then instruct FC4 to install on to this new partition.
Running FC6 on AMD64 3000+, Asus K8N Mobo, 1.5Gb PC3200 ram, Nvidia Fx 5200 128Mb Graphics card, SB Audigy 2 Value sound card, Two Samsung ATA 100 hard disks of 160 and 80 Gb,D-Link DWL-G510 wireless pci card and Creative Inspire P7800 7.1 channel speakers.
Old 13th July 2005, 10:11 PM
shuvorim Offline

Huh! Huh!! Funny!!! Never mind, but it was really funny!!!!

You want to install FC4 without giving it any space or what? Where will it reside then?? Okay, let's clear it. Did you mean that you have only one partition, which is C:\ ? So, I assumed that C:\ is your entire hard drive. Well Cheetah, you will need to give FC4 some space, and it looks you don't have any unused space left. You have two options now:

1. Shrink your current partition with Partition Magic or other reliable partition tool. Then try to install FC4.

2. Delete your entire partition and create new partitions while leaving some free space for FC4 to use.

If you choose NO#2, your current data will be gone and you need to install Windows XP again. Cheers!!!

** You should always post your detailed system configuration while starting a new thread. It'll help other people to guess what's going on ....
Old 13th July 2005, 10:15 PM
cheetahman Offline

What program could I use besides Partition Magic what about QTparted
Old 13th July 2005, 11:19 PM
cheetahman Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvorim
Huh! Huh!! Funny!!! Never mind, but it was really funny!!!!

You want to install FC4 without giving it any space or what? Where will it reside then?? Okay, let's clear it. Did you mean that you have only one partition, which is C:\ ? So, I assumed that C:\ is your entire hard drive. Well Cheetah, you will need to give FC4 some space, and it looks you don't have any unused space left. You have two options now:

1. Shrink your current partition with Partition Magic or other reliable partition tool. Then try to install FC4.

2. Delete your entire partition and create new partitions while leaving some free space for FC4 to use.

If you choose NO#2, your current data will be gone and you need to install Windows XP again. Cheers!!!

** You should always post your detailed system configuration while starting a new thread. It'll help other people to guess what's going on ....
]

Could you help me resizing with qtparted
Old 14th July 2005, 12:12 AM
cheetahman Offline

Would SuSE Linux let me resize it then Install SuSE then install Fedora Core 4 which will delete the SuSE partitions and make it dual boot.
Old 14th July 2005, 03:49 AM
cheetahman Offline

http://ca.geocities.com/zachandloric...windowsxp.html

would this site help me even though its meant for Ubuntu
Old 14th July 2005, 06:49 AM
shuvorim Offline

Good Morning Cheetah (it's morning in our country),

I never used any third party partition utility such as Partition Magic or QTPart. So I can't tell anything about them. I use either FDISK (which comes with Windows 9x CDs or you can search Google) or DISKPART (which comes with Windows 2000, XP CDs).

But they are not able to shrink your partition. They can just delete and create new partitions. So, I backup all my valuable data on some CDs and then use them.

Now it's upto you to decide. You can follow instructions described on that web site. But before taking any steps, backup your valuable data.
Old 14th July 2005, 07:02 AM
Redo Offline

shuvorim is right about backing up your data to CDs or DVDs. Whichever method you choose to resize/format your hard drive, you need to backup the data! Even the most solid proof of resizing and reformating partitioning tools can leave you with nothing. The program could make a mistake or you could make a mistake and loose your backup data in an instant.

If you are going to pay for a commercial partitioning tool, you are almost better off buying a new hard for around the same amount of money.

Tags
booting, core, dual, fedora, installing, problems