Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th July 2005, 04:41 AM
devanb Offline

How: Install wireless modem without internet connection?

Hello.

I am a seasoned linux installer, but unsuccessful linux user. I've gone through the gentoo installation a few times and have now switched to Fedora Core 4, which has gotten me farther than ever. Now I come to the problem:

I am installing linux on an old laptop which has gotten too slow for XP. All I need to do is e-mail and web access for my wife. I am using a linksys wireless NIC with a broadcom BCM4306 chipset (as from lspci).

How can I use this card and connect to my router, using WPA encryption, when the computer has no way to connect to the router? I have no way to connect a cable to the router.

I'd like to use a USB drive but I'd settle to burn a cd or DVD to contain the necessary files.

Thanks in advance,

Devan
Old 15th July 2005, 07:51 AM
imdeemvp Offline

You may need to install ndiswrapper for your device.

Easiest and most friendly desktop ever is PCLinuxOS! Includes all this apps. Just try it.

"The greater the struggle THE greater the achievment."

Do you know HIM?

If you are an idiot click here. NThis will test you linux skills :D
Old 15th July 2005, 11:50 AM
Omega Blue Offline

Is your WiFi card a PCMCIA card? If so, you should be able to just plug it in and have it work.
Old 17th July 2005, 06:06 AM
devanb Offline

It is a PCMCIA card but I don't think it's recognized. I think I have a workaround.

I'm booting up the laptop in XP, and then downloading ndiswrapper and placing it in a volume that can be read by linux.

I'm going to look up what files I need to download to use my card.

There really needs a way for laptop users to use wireless networking right from the install DVD.

Devan
Old 18th July 2005, 06:32 AM
Omega Blue Offline

It detected my Orinoco card fine.

Device drivers are not easy to write, and at times hardware makers don't even want to give out specs to the Linux community. Fortunately, as far as I know, for WiFi cards only the chipsets matter.
Old 18th July 2005, 06:37 AM
devanb Offline

I'm going to just dedicate some time next weekend to try and sort out these drivers. I have two laptops I would love to run linux on but I just don't have the time right now to find ndiswrapper, wpa supplicant, the correct drivers, probably recompile my kernel a couple of times. It's too damn complicated for simply wireless access.

Devan
Old 18th July 2005, 06:50 AM
imdeemvp Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Blue
It detected my Orinoco card fine.

Device drivers are not easy to write, and at times hardware makers don't even want to give out specs to the Linux community. Fortunately, as far as I know, for WiFi cards only the chipsets matter.
I have heard so much about this card that last I recently purchase one on ebay and will give a try when it comes. Most users said it's plug and play in fedora.....

Easiest and most friendly desktop ever is PCLinuxOS! Includes all this apps. Just try it.

"The greater the struggle THE greater the achievment."

Do you know HIM?

If you are an idiot click here. NThis will test you linux skills :D

Tags
connection, install, internet, modem, wireless