Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th July 2005, 12:06 AM
darkhelnet Offline

Install Intel wireless drivess fc4 (also pcmcia issues)

I downloaded the intel drivers for 2915abg wireless card, but I am unsure of how to install them. I tried following the text document, but I my linux experience is basically typing in username and password, and then using the applications, very little with mounting hardware and installing software. Also on boot up, the computer locks up when starting pcmcia services. If I go to interactive mode and tell it not to start the service, it boots up fine. Please help, I can follow instructions, and can spend some time messing around.
Old 19th July 2005, 02:33 PM
Iron_Mike Offline

If you just want to get the card working, FC4 has the IPW2200 driver built in, the only thing you need to do is download the firmware which is 2.2.5 and copy it to the /lib/firmware directory. Reboot the computer and go to the Internet Connection Wizard and select wireless and see if the card shows up. If it does go from there.
Then check the Network Device menu and see if the Wireless is activated. This should work for wide open or WEP protected networks. WPA is a whole other ballgame.

Mike...

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhelnet
I downloaded the intel drivers for 2915abg wireless card, but I am unsure of how to install them. I tried following the text document, but I my linux experience is basically typing in username and password, and then using the applications, very little with mounting hardware and installing software. Also on boot up, the computer locks up when starting pcmcia services. If I go to interactive mode and tell it not to start the service, it boots up fine. Please help, I can follow instructions, and can spend some time messing around.
Old 19th July 2005, 05:48 PM
darkhelnet Offline

OK, I got the wireless card running, and got connected to my home network. How can I change the services it starts on bootup? I want to disable the pcmcia service because it just immediately freezes my computer.
Old 20th July 2005, 05:09 PM
Iron_Mike Offline

Are you sure you want to turn off pcmcia services Try this:

Desktop -->System Settings -->Server Settings -->Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhelnet
OK, I got the wireless card running, and got connected to my home network. How can I change the services it starts on bootup? I want to disable the pcmcia service because it just immediately freezes my computer.

Tags
drivess, fc4, install, intel, issues, pcmcia, wireless