Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 26th July 2005, 12:39 PM
bildrullen Offline

Fedora3 installation trouble with Promise Fasttrak S150 TX4 SATA RAID

Hello

I'm trying to install Fedora 3 on a server using Promise Fasttrak S150 TX4 SATA Raid controller, configured as RAID1 with two 80G disks.

Where can I find a Fedora3 driver for the raid controller?

How can I disable Fedora's sata_promise driver during the installation? (I've heard it only supports SATA in non-raid configuration).

I've tried using a driver supplied with the server (a Fujitsu-Siemens Primergy server) but ends up with Fedora not finding any harddisks at all during the installation.

If I try to install without the driver, Fedora doesn't recognize the raid setup, i.e. I see booth 80G disks. Installation works well until it's time to remove installation media and reboot. Then the server hangs after reboot.

I'm grateful for any suggestion that makes my installation go a bit forward.
Old 26th July 2005, 01:09 PM
jtang613 Offline

Normally, one would find Promise drivers on the Promise website: http://www.promise.com/support/downl...&productID=108

However, Promise provides appaulingly poor support for Linux. None of their drivers work with current Linux kernels. They ignore most requests for updates. But feel free to send your comments to: linuxcomments@promise.com and linux@promise.nl

I recommend disabling the FastTrak raid functionality and using Linux soft-raid instead. It is far superior to FastTrak soft-raid.

When choosing a raid device, always confirm that it has *active* kernel support before buying anything. Actually, when choosing ANY hardware intended to be used with Linux, always check for kernel-compatibility first.

m2c,
Jason
Old 26th July 2005, 10:08 PM
bildrullen Offline

Thanks for reply.

Looks like I have to go back to the salesguy who said this would work.
Mikael

Tags
fasttrak, fedora3, installation, promise, raid, s150, sata, trouble, tx4