Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th August 2005, 09:09 PM
tieflingrogue Offline

ati radeon 600 graphics card and intel pro 10/100 ethernet card don't work

I've tried to install both ubuntu 5.04 and fc4, with both I have the same two problems.- ethernet card isn't detected and X freezes up after about 2 seconds:

-------------------------------------------------
System

Dimension 5100C Series,Intel Pentium 4 Processor 541 with HT Technology (3.2GHz)
1GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz
128MB ATI Radeon X600 SE x16 PCIe graphics card
160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
No Floppy Drive Included
Integrated 10/100 Ethernet (Intel Pro 10 / 100)

I've been using linux for a few years, but I'm not really well versed in the details because up until now, I've never had many problems with installation or hardware detection. I've searched the forums, tried many thing but can't get anything to work. Since internet doesn't work with linux, I have to boot into windows XP, download what I need, burn to cd and go back to linux.

Graphics:

Downloaded drivers from ati and rpm from livna repository. livna rpm complains about the gcc version (fc4 version is newer I think). ati package just says that the installation failed. Changed the xorg.conf file (added fglrx as driver and so on) but this didn't do anything probably because the driver isn't being installed in the first place.
Ethernet:
no matter which command I use (ifconfig, ifup,.......) no ethernet card is shown, only the lo loopback thingy. modprobe.conf didn't list eth0, so I added it with e100......didn't help.
Tried modprobe e100 and modprobe eepro as well.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 9th August 2005, 09:24 PM
gerardrubio

For the video card try these instructions http://www.fedorafaq.org/#radeon , they worked for my X800.

For the ethernet card I dunno, sorry.
Old 10th August 2005, 02:03 AM
tieflingrogue Offline

When i try to install the livna driver ati-fglrx kernel-module-fglrx..., I get a message which says that libstdc++.so.5 is needed. Ethernet card isn't detected, so can't do yum update.

Chris
Old 10th August 2005, 10:02 AM
gerardrubio

Download libstdc++ from here the same way you did with the fglrx.... -> http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat....i386.rpm.html and then as root
Code:
rpm -Uvh libstdc++-4.0.1-4.fc4.i386.rpm
And if another library appears missing, Google is your friend "<library needed> rpm fc4", it usually works for me.
Old 12th August 2005, 03:09 AM
tieflingrogue Offline

Well, I manually upgraded the kernel to 6.12 and installed libstdc++-4.0.1-4.fc4.i386.rpm. After this, the ethernet was detected and X works, but the system is terribly slow.....especially in booting up. It probably takes about 8-10 minutes to boot and another 3-4 minutes to logon plus multiple seconds to open any applications. This doesn't happen if I boot with the original kernel, but with the orginal kernel I'm back with ethernet and X not working.
Old 22nd August 2005, 07:11 PM
gerardrubio

Try turning off some services you don't need on startup. Take a look http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_cor...l#Installation, you may find a solution switching off some services and stuff related to ipv6

Tags
600, ati, card, ethernet, graphics, intel, pro, radeon, work