Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th September 2005, 08:40 PM
zl2k Offline

Unhappy update fc3 causing nvidia problem

After run a "yum update", the kernel is updated to 2.6.12-1.1372_FC3 and the nvidia stop working.

According to http://www.fedorafaq.org/fc3/custom_nvidia.html , the nvidia driver must be reinstalled after install a new kernel by yum or up2date. So I download the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7676-pkg1.run and follow the procedures to install the nvidia, also follow the instructions on nvidia readme to make corrections on xorg.conf (in Device section replace "Driver "nv"" with "Driver "nvidia""; in the Module section, make sure I have: "Load "glx""; also remove the following lines: "Load "dri"", "Load "GLcore""). There is no obvious error given during this procedure.

Then I reboot the system, the system hang with black screen with only the mouse icon shown while checking the nvidia driver. The X seems partically work since the mouse icon can still move but but that's it. I force the system to shut down and after restart, it shows check nvidia driver failur in boot up procedure and the system change the xorg.conf to its default. (the deleted "Load "dri"" appears again). Based on this xorg.conf file, I have the error message
(==) RandR enabled
Symbol __glXgetActiveScreen from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libdri.a is unresolved!
Symbol __glXgetActiveScreen from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libdri.a is unresolved!
(EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension (NVIDIA X driver not found)
in Xorg.0.log.
I search the google for the above error message but can not find a clear answer, I also tried to add "modprobe nvidia" in rc.local but not work.

Thanks a million for your suggestions.

zl2k
Old 5th September 2005, 12:13 AM
imdeemvp Offline

After a kernel upgrade you need to reinstall nvidia drivers again: http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=45378

Easiest and most friendly desktop ever is PCLinuxOS! Includes all this apps. Just try it.

"The greater the struggle THE greater the achievment."

Do you know HIM?

If you are an idiot click here. NThis will test you linux skills :D
Old 5th September 2005, 04:45 AM
zl2k Offline

I follow the instruction but still not work

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdeemvp
After a kernel upgrade you need to reinstall nvidia drivers again: http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=45378
In my case, even the nvidia driver not found, the system modifies the xorg.conf and start a default X server.
So I use telinit 3 to quit from the X window. Here is what I do:

telinit 3
sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7676-pkg1.run
(follow the instructions and has no problem)
cp -a /dev/nvidia* /etc/udev/devices/
chown root: etc/udev/devices/nvidia*
(modify xorg.conf: delet "Load "dri"" and change "nv" to "nvidia" in Section "Device"
note: the above changes made to xorg.conf will be changed back by the system)
modprobe nvidia
-------------everything looks good till now---------------
telinit 5
(it still shows failur to check nvidia module after type "telinit 5", and back to the X window, log in, the xorg.conf is changed back! and opengl related game can not run. reboot, same problem)

Since I've already reboot after update the new kernel and the nvidia driver is also a new version, I can not try the tips given in your link (sh NVIDIA-Linux-xxx-yyy.run -q --kernel-name=<new kernel> -K -a).

What else can I do? How may I stop the system modify the xorg.conf? Thanks for your suggestions.

zl2k
Old 5th September 2005, 05:50 AM
zl2k Offline

btw, it's said "If your distribution does not have its own configuration utility, Xorg includes its own: xorgcfg, a graphical configuration utility, as well as a console version, xorgconfig." But I can not run either xorgcfg nor xorgconfig as the root.

[root@localhost X11]# xorgconfig
-bash: xorgconfig: command not found

I've removed the xorg-xll-Mesa-libGL as recommend (may conflict with nvidia). Is this the reason that I can't run xorgcfg and xorgconfig?

zl2k

Tags
causing, fc3, nvidia, problem, update