Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 12th September 2005, 08:49 AM
Besnell Offline

Kernel Panic During System Boot

Yesterday while I was updating the system files within my FC4 installation (yum -update) I received some unknown error messages. As a result I decided to reboot the system. Upon rebooting the system I receive the following information

Booting 'Fedora Core (2.6.12-1.1398_FC4)'

root (hd0, 0)
Filesystem type is ext2fs, partion type 0x83
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.12-1.1398_FC4 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
[Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1e00, size=0x18d2b5]
initrd /initrd-2.6.12-1.1398_FC4.img
[Linux-initrd @ 0x1fedd000, 0x10e9dc bytes]

Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
Red Hat nash version 4.2.15 starting
EXT3-fs error (device hda2) ext3_get_inode_loc: unable to read inode block -inode=8, block=1032
EXT3-fs: invalid journal inode.
mount: error 22 mounting ext3
Error opening /dev/console!!!!: 2
error dup2'ing fd of 0 to 0
error dup2'ing fd of 0 to 1
error dup2'ing fd of 0 to 2
switchroot: mount failed: 22
Kernel panic -not syncing: Attempting to kill init.

From the information I can discern that my problem seems to relate to my hdd (specifically hda2). Is there anyway I can boot into my system to "fix" this error without having to do anything drastic (reinstall the system). Although I can work my way around the system I am afraid I will do something that will result in issues that will further compound my problems.

I would be extremely grateful to anyone that can provide some insight into this situation for me. I am not keen on the idea of having to reformat the system as I have a lot of development files that are currently sitting within /var/html/www/<rest of path>.

As always thank you in advance.
Old 12th September 2005, 09:58 AM
mndar Offline

You need to fsck your boot and / partitions.Boot using the rescue cd. This will mount the system partition in /mnt/sysimage. unmount it using umount /mnt/sysimage and then run fsck on the / and boot partition.

Tags
boot, kernel, panic