Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th September 2005, 02:00 PM
NDG Offline

Ending XServer for NVidia driver install...

Hello folks,

Recently installed FC2 and am looking to install the latest NVidia drivers in order to run the updated kernel. Well, I've looked through several posts here which have helped me out a lot BUT I have reached an impasse.

In order to install the NVidia drivers you cannot have the XServer running but I have no idea how to end the XServer so that I can install the drivers from a command line interface.

If I log out of my session and choose to log into a Failsafe Terminal it still says I have XServer running.

I've looked all through the menus to try and find a process manager and KILL the XServer but I can't seem to locate it...hoping that someone here can tell me how to end the XServer so that I can install the NVidia drivers.

Thanks,

NDG
Old 18th September 2005, 02:18 PM
philjohn Offline

You need to open a terminal and do the following:

su to root

edit /etc/inittab (vi /etc/inittab)

Find the line that says
id:5:initdefault:

change it to read
id:3:initdefault:

save the file ( esc :wq)

/sbin/shutdown -r now

when the computer reboots you will be in command line mode with network enabled, install the nvidia driver, edit your x configuration (remove dri, make sure glx is there, change the driver section to read nvidia instead of nv etc. etc.)

enter the following command
init 5

if the X server comes up fine and the Nvidia driver installed successfully you can now edit /etc/inittab and change the 3 back to 5.
Old 18th September 2005, 04:14 PM
weinerdogus Offline

http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=45378

Registered Linux User 394169
Old 18th September 2005, 04:38 PM
cbourne Offline

Ending XServer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDG
Hello folks,

Recently installed FC2 and am looking to install the latest NVidia drivers in order to run the updated kernel. Well, I've looked through several posts here which have helped me out a lot BUT I have reached an impasse.

In order to install the NVidia drivers you cannot have the XServer running but I have no idea how to end the XServer so that I can install the drivers from a command line interface.

If I log out of my session and choose to log into a Failsafe Terminal it still says I have XServer running.

I've looked all through the menus to try and find a process manager and KILL the XServer but I can't seem to locate it...hoping that someone here can tell me how to end the XServer so that I can install the NVidia drivers.

Thanks,

NDG
There is no need to alter your init options and reboot to do this.
Simply type:
ctl-alt-backspace.
Old 18th September 2005, 08:37 PM
gigjee Offline

Actually you can't always just type ctl-alt-backspace, it will automatically reload the Xserver every time you do that, I probably do it in a weird way, but I just edit my xorg.conf file and comment out the driver line e.g. #driver "nv", then I ctl-alt-backspace, logout or restart, it will attempt to load the Xserver again but will fail and then ask you if you want to view the log file, select NO, then it will ask you if you want to run the X configuration script, again select NO, once you are in the prompt login as root and run the NVIDIA install script, once it has finished you can edit your xorg.conf file and uncomment the driver line and replace "nv" with "nvidia" e.g. driver "nvidia". It may not be the most efficient way but hey it works...
Old 18th September 2005, 09:27 PM
NDG Offline

Thanks a bunch for the replies folks.

Philjohn, your suggestion was just what I needed to get the job done.

'Ctrl+Alt+Backspace' will get you out of your X Windows session but X Server will still be running (I tried this before originally posting).

PROBLEM SOLVED!!

Now to work on some sound issues!!

Thanks again,

NDG
Old 29th September 2012, 08:35 AM
daveloves Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Ending XServer for NVidia driver install...

Hi, I am running Fedora 9 with all updates current and i am trying install my driver for my Nvidia 6200tc and when i follow the same instructions i get the following error line
[root@localhost ~]# edit /etc/inittab (vi /etc/inittab
-bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('

I can't seem to log out of my xserver at all. Need assistance please..
Old 29th September 2012, 09:10 AM
Yellowman

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveloves View Post
Hi, I am running Fedora 9 with all updates current and i am trying install my driver for my Nvidia 6200tc and when i follow the same instructions i get the following error line
[root@localhost ~]# edit /etc/inittab (vi /etc/inittab
-bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('

I can't seem to log out of my xserver at all.
Need assistance please..
This thread is totally obsolete.

Code:
su
init 3
Old 29th September 2012, 11:26 AM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxfirefox

Thread closed. You can continue discussions on unsupported Fedora releases in the EOL forum.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Just a couple of old single core units
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 240GB SATA 3.0 / 1TB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Closed Thread

Tags
driver, ending, install, nvidia, xserver