Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd October 2005, 02:38 PM
tseliot Offline

Unhappy Yum seems pretty slow

Hi, I'm a (happy) Ubuntu user and yesterday I decided to try FC4. It looked good but I had one problem (perhaps related to the fact that I'm a newbie in Fedora): yum seems slow.

1)Every time it try to install a program it updates the list of the repos (and this is slow)

2)the download takes too much time (I have a 4Mbit ADSL) ( if compared to Ubuntu's APT) (does it depend on the servers?).

I'm writing to know if my problems can be solved somehow. If yes I would put Fedora on my 2nd harddisk so as to learn sth about a good RPM based distro.

Thanks in advance.
Old 22nd October 2005, 03:05 PM
bitrain Offline

Quote:
1)Every time it try to install a program it updates the list of the repos (and this is slow)
Yes, it does this because the list with files is stored on your pc.
Quote:
2)the download takes too much time (I have a 4Mbit ADSL) ( if compared to Ubuntu's APT) (does it depend on the servers?).
That depends on which server you are. You can stacially choose a fast server, by default yum chooses a rondom server from the mirrorlist at fedora.redhat.com

Laptop: Nec Versa p550, Pentium M 1.86GHz, 1024MB ram, x300, 80 GB HD, bluetooth, 2915BG Wlan card
Desktop: Amd Athlon x2 4200+, 2GB ram, Geforce 7300GT 512MB silent, 160GB HD in a nice centurion 534 case :cool:
Old 22nd October 2005, 03:46 PM
tseliot Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitrain
Yes, it does this because the list with files is stored on your pc.
That depends on which server you are. You can stacially choose a fast server, by default yum chooses a rondom server from the mirrorlist at fedora.redhat.com
Thanks for the answer. It works differently from apt in Ubuntu but I might give it another try. I need a 2nd stable operative system to use when I have the time to learn it and because it is useful to have an emergency operative system in case anything goes wrong in Ubuntu (and if I don't have time to reinstall it).
Old 23rd October 2005, 12:22 AM
tseliot Offline

Ok, I think I've underestimated Fedora. I will "study" it more.

BTW some repos reported in the unofficial guide seem down
Old 23rd October 2005, 01:10 AM
Finalzone Offline
Community Manager

You can use the command "yum makecache" then later you can this command "yum -C install <packagename>". This will allow yum to use cache instead of downloading datas from server.
Old 23rd October 2005, 09:18 AM
tseliot Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalzone
You can use the command "yum makecache" then later you can this command "yum -C install <packagename>". This will allow yum to use cache instead of downloading datas from server.
Thanks, that's a useful command
Old 23rd October 2005, 07:20 PM
mtl2002 Offline

I think it's that the repositories sometimes go down. Just this weekend I had problems connecting on Friday night from both my desktop and laptop; 12 hours later, they both worked just fine.
Old 24th October 2005, 09:44 PM
dayzed Offline

tseliot,

Don’t let them talk you out of apt. Yum is extremely slow. Why the heck the fedora community decided to go with yum over apt is beyond me. Truthfully apt is a much more superior program than yum but it is harder to use for a lot of newbie’s maybe this is why yum was chosen instead.

Just try doing a search for a program on your ubuntu box "apt-cache search package" vs "yum search package" and tell me how fast yum runs? Also you get a full description with yum when searching which makes it hard to find what you’re looking for. With apt you get a 1 line description, much easier and faster to work with.

Also can you do an "apt-get install --reinstall package" with apt, I have no idea how to do this in yum or even if it is possible.

After using apt for the last few years with fedora and redhat and now being forced to switch to yum on my fedora boxes I can tell you that yum is a pain. My Ubuntu box running apt will get a list of updates in a fraction of the time it takes my fedora box running yum to do the same. In fact my ubuntu box will get a list of updates in about 2-3 seconds. Yum sometimes it can take a full minute. More than half the time when updating on my fedora box running yum, yum fails on at least one mirror making things even slower. Not to mention checksums being bad sometimes.

I am frequently doing a "yum clean all" to get things running smooth again with yum.

I tried the suggested "yum makecache" and though it sounds promising it did nothing for me.

Even my RHEL 3.0 box running up2date is 10 times faster than yum. Nope I am convinced yum sucks rotten eggs.

Dayzed
Old 25th October 2005, 12:47 AM
RahulSundaram Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayzed
tseliot,

Don’t let them talk you out of apt. Yum is extremely slow. Why the heck the fedora community decided to go with yum over apt is beyond me. Truthfully apt is a much more superior program than yum but it is harder to use for a lot of newbie’s maybe this is why yum was chosen instead.

Just try doing a search for a program on your ubuntu box "apt-cache search package" vs "yum search package" and tell me how fast yum runs? Also you get a full description with yum when searching which makes it hard to find what you’re looking for. With apt you get a 1 line description, much easier and faster to work with.

Also can you do an "apt-get install --reinstall package" with apt, I have no idea how to do this in yum or even if it is possible.

After using apt for the last few years with fedora and redhat and now being forced to switch to yum on my fedora boxes I can tell you that yum is a pain. My Ubuntu box running apt will get a list of updates in a fraction of the time it takes my fedora box running yum to do the same. In fact my ubuntu box will get a list of updates in about 2-3 seconds. Yum sometimes it can take a full minute. More than half the time when updating on my fedora box running yum, yum fails on at least one mirror making things even slower. Not to mention checksums being bad sometimes.

I am frequently doing a "yum clean all" to get things running smooth again with yum.

I tried the suggested "yum makecache" and though it sounds promising it did nothing for me.

Even my RHEL 3.0 box running up2date is 10 times faster than yum. Nope I am convinced yum sucks rotten eggs.

Dayzed

Why isnt APT a choice?

See http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Apt

It should be noted that unlike apt-cache yum search runs through the entire meta data including package information. If similar behavior is desired

try

#yum list available | grep -i <word> (or)

# yum list | grep -i <word>

Yum checks the repository by default so it might appear to be slower. With yum -C option to run it from cache instead of updating its metadata yum should run in a similar speed to any other depedency resolver

Also from FC4 onwards while its much faster, Fedora Extras repository is also configured by default which manages more packages than a stock configuration of Ubuntu

Also look at yum-utils in Fedora Extras for other advanced options.

If the system has several third party repositories configured make sure they dont conflict and consider disabling them by default and enable it on demand using the command line option when required.

Rahul
Red Hat
Old 25th October 2005, 06:34 AM
dayzed Offline

>stock configuration of Ubuntu
Dont run stock

Cool grep tip, thanks : )

I wish yum was faster on my FC4 box but it is not faster at all. If yum was at least some what speedy I wouldnt be complaining. I am not aginst yum if it can do the job but serously it has been teribly slow for me. Looking back at my post it sounds like I was trying to start a apt vs yum war but I wasnt I was just stating my observations. I am sure some debian people would have something to say about all this mr Red Hat : ) but maybe the point I have been missing is that apt was built for debain and yum is a better fit for Fedora because of this.
Old 25th October 2005, 01:54 PM
Segovia Offline

I also find yum maddeningly slow. Sometimes I'm just staring at the terminal and thinking "OMFG, what in the world is it DOING that's taking so long?!" It's not just searches. ANY command I give yum is guaranteed to take much longer than a normal person should be expected to endure.

Ah well, I love FC4 for the most part.
Old 26th October 2005, 08:21 PM
xequence Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by tseliot
Hi, I'm a (happy) Ubuntu user and yesterday I decided to try FC4. It looked good but I had one problem (perhaps related to the fact that I'm a newbie in Fedora): yum seems slow.

I'm writing to know if my problems can be solved somehow. If yes I would put Fedora on my 2nd harddisk so as to learn sth about a good RPM based distro.

Thanks in advance.
That just about mirrors my experience. I was happy with ubuntu, but I had always wanted to try FC. Yum is very very very slow, it has taken 15 minutes and it still hasnt fully updated the repos.
Old 26th October 2005, 10:00 PM
Finalzone Offline
Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by xequence
That just about mirrors my experience. I was happy with ubuntu, but I had always wanted to try FC. Yum is very very very slow, it has taken 15 minutes and it still hasnt fully updated the repos.
The problem is related to the repo server not yum itself. By default, yum is set to get random mirror servers. The suggestion is to get one that is close to your location from fedora.redhat.com .
Old 26th October 2005, 10:30 PM
Firewing1 Offline

Use SMARTPM. (smartpm.org)... it's much faster, based on Yum. Make sure you install medley-package-config first, though.
Firewing1
Old 2nd November 2005, 04:55 PM
tseliot Offline

Ok, I'll try suggestions, thanks to all of you.