Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 31st October 2005, 03:48 PM
deepfreeze Offline

Programming language

Hi all how is everybody.

I am thinking of learning the programming language python, I have heard that it has some thing to do with linux? So what can I do with it in linux?

and thank you.
Old 31st October 2005, 05:07 PM
sej7278 Offline

it's certainly not tied to linux/unix, in fact the windows version works quite nicely indeed, the mac one isn't too bad either.

a lot of the admin programs for linux are written using python - for example yum and most of the system-config-* programs, as well as bittorrent.

you can use it on a webserver and connect to databases or you can use it alongside gtk, qt, tk or wxwidgets to make gui applications.
Old 31st October 2005, 06:33 PM
Furball Offline

I you want to learn Python or just find out more about it the Dive Into Python Website may be very helpful for you: http://diveintopython.org/

Benjamin Duehring, FORWISS
Universitaet Passau, D-94030 Passau
WWW: http://www.lyxx.de/card
Old 1st November 2005, 03:20 AM
rappermas Offline

If it's your first programming language, go Python all the way.

Myself, having been around the programming block a few times, have used HTML, CSS, DHTML, JavaScript, Java, C, C++, Python, and various other languages.

Python is very intuitive and easy to learn. It is the highest-level language there is, in my opinion. But I'm still better with Java
Old 1st November 2005, 03:27 AM
Christy Offline

I'm a GIS student and the first language I learned was Avenue (for ArcView GIS 3.x). Then we learned Python (specifically for ArcGIS 9.x), but I've done a little with it in a general sense since. Though I don't have a lotof programming experience, I find that given the right resouces and a little time tinkering, I can get what I want out of Python. I find this is a good place to start personally (granted I didn't start this on my own, I had a prof "holding my hand" instead of diving in alone ) http://www.python.org/doc/

Edit: Oh ya, and it's definately not tied to linux as I actualy haven't used it in linux....yet tho it seems that more and more stuff is being written in linux for it

Last edited by Christy; 1st November 2005 at 03:30 AM.
Old 1st November 2005, 12:45 PM
deepfreeze Offline

I will see the website, thanx for the help.
Old 1st November 2005, 05:31 PM
bitrain Offline

Quote:
So what can I do with it in linux?
You can make gtk programs in python too.

Laptop: Nec Versa p550, Pentium M 1.86GHz, 1024MB ram, x300, 80 GB HD, bluetooth, 2915BG Wlan card
Desktop: Amd Athlon x2 4200+, 2GB ram, Geforce 7300GT 512MB silent, 160GB HD in a nice centurion 534 case :cool:
Old 1st November 2005, 07:45 PM
Mat Offline
Retired Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreeze
I am thinking of learning the programming language python, I have heard that it has some thing to do with linux? So what can I do with it in linux?
basically you can do almost everything with the scripting languages that are available for linux.. like creating scripts to create backups, populate mysql database with data, extract all links from html pages etc..

Sky's the limit

Mat

Having fun with Tcl at
Mat's Playground
Old 1st November 2005, 08:20 PM
Firewing1 Offline

personall, I find python hard (well, i'm only 14, and read next to nothing on it, but...) and I know 12 programming languages. If you'd like for me to recommend one, I'd say PHP.
You can have real fun with PHP. PHP (php.net) can be used with HTML to make a super-cool web page (See mine!) or to use on your system. I've made my own Virus Scanner with PHP!
(see http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/...d.php?p=393528)
It's technially just a GUI, but it's still cool.
With PHP I then went on to MySQL (Databases, very cool!) and then BASH (complex, hard to work with, limited abilities, but still cool). Python is advanced, but also very cool, and you can make anything you want.
Firewing1