Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 13th November 2005, 08:07 PM
rsriverrat Offline

FC4 install corrupts windows networking

hey guys, i have done some searching and havnt found anything usefull, perhaps i am not using the proper search terms, and was wondering if i could get some help?

i am not a newb to linux, as a matter of fact i have 2 clarkconnect servers here, aswell as have run regular FC3 servers in the past. but i have a replicable problem that i havnt been able to find a resolution for, except a complete redo of my pc..

i have a amd64 3000, and asus a8vdeluxe mobo, 512meg ram, nvidia geforce4 128meg, 1yr old sata 120gig hdd, and 20gig maxtor ata100...

heres the problem, i use windows exclusively on my personal pc, and wanted to do the FC4 dual boot thing as i have the need to try a few things related to tv cards with mythtv, ive used dual boot windowsxp sp1/FC2 in the past with absolutely no troubles, however now, it doesnt seem to matter if i use 2 partition on the same drive, or 2 seperate drives with seperate MBR's to install FC4 i get corrupted windows networking after 2 boots with linux.... after the first install on the same physical drive with 2 seperate partitions and this happened i was told that u cant install FC4 like that, so this time i used a seperate hdd to do the install with and installed grub on the same hdd FC4 was installed on, and just used the bios to decide which hdd to boot from, that way the windows install would be untouched.... well to my surprise after 2 boots between windows/FC4 i have the same EXACT problem.... a network cable is unplugged while in windows. the funny thing is i can boot back to FC4 and all is good on the same exact nic that windows says a network cable is unplugged on...

now i know u will say the nic is bad or the driver is corrupted.. well ok i thought so too, so i have done the usual to reload drivers in wndows to no avail, matter of fact i can install a completely different card, and disable the onboard marvel yukon nic, install the drivers for the new card, and boom same error.. a network cable is unplugged.... have any of you guys seen this, and is there a way to get my networking back in wondows.... i just dont understand how linux can corrupt windows when they are on seperate drives with seperate MBR's

oh and also to add, since the first fiasco ive been using windows with this marvel nic for 3 months with no issues....

sorry for the long post, was just trying to be thorough..

Dale
Old 13th November 2005, 08:18 PM
rsriverrat Offline

update

i am not sure this solved the problem, but i removed the power totally from the pc and rebooted with the windows hdd and the nic now works.... this is strange indeed... i'm not knocking it, but i think i'll stay in windows for now till i can get a possible solution....

is it possible that somehow or another linux is modifying the nic's hardware address or something?

Dale
Old 13th November 2005, 09:53 PM
Zigzagcom Offline

Found this on the net:

http://help.lockergnome.com/index.php?showtopic=38074
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...hreadid=366179
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/1086520722
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-58812.html
Old 13th November 2005, 10:09 PM
Zigzagcom Offline

Another idea...are you using DHCP to get your IP's from the router? When you switch from Linux to Windows, it could be that each OS gets a different IP, yet with the same MAC address, which would confuse the router. Try configuring static IP's for both OS's, i.e., use exactly the same IP on both.
Or else try this from the windows command line:
>ipconfig /release
>ipconfig /renew

Last edited by Zigzagcom; 13th November 2005 at 10:12 PM.
Old 14th November 2005, 12:41 AM
rsriverrat Offline

thanks for those links, i had actually run aross a few of those the last time, however most suggest using the latest drivers, but thats what i am using, and have been using... seems the only real solution is removing power totally to get the windows nic back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigzagcom
Another idea...are you using DHCP to get your IP's from the router? When you switch from Linux to Windows, it could be that each OS gets a different IP, yet with the same MAC address, which would confuse the router. Try configuring static IP's for both OS's, i.e., use exactly the same IP on both.
Or else try this from the windows command line:
>ipconfig /release
>ipconfig /renew
nope all my pc's (8 of them) are all configured with static ip's, i just prefer them that way... nothing in my router logs show anything important, i am using a linksys wrt54g right now, however the last time i had this problem i was using a clarkconnect home edition gateway/firewall, which is based on fc2 or 3 cant remember which....

EDIT: even tho i use static ips i did have different ip's setup 192.168.2.50 in windows, and 192.168.2.75 in linux

thanks for all your help

Last edited by rsriverrat; 14th November 2005 at 12:49 AM.
Old 14th November 2005, 12:51 AM
Zigzagcom Offline

This problem seems to crop up here and there. I even read that it can happen to machines that dual boot between win98 and xp. Have you tried taking a look at your windows network card configuration, i.e., the speed and duplex settings. On my dual boot laptop it is set for auto-negotiation in windoze.

P.S. Are you using the exact same IP for the win and fedora install?
Old 14th November 2005, 01:43 AM
rsriverrat Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigzagcom
This problem seems to crop up here and there. I even read that it can happen to machines that dual boot between win98 and xp. Have you tried taking a look at your windows network card configuration, i.e., the speed and duplex settings. On my dual boot laptop it is set for auto-negotiation in windoze.

P.S. Are you using the exact same IP for the win and fedora install?
yes, as a matter of fact i just did some dabbling, and this is peculiar to say the least... i verified ip address's were the same on both os's and they are

here is what i found peculiar
i logged out of kde, and chose reboot, changed boot drive in bios, and booted to windows... watched the nic lights and they never came on... and had the network cable is unplugged messge.... hmmm i thought, so i shutdown windows, unplugged pc, plugged pc back in, rebooted to windows and windows activated the nic.. all is good

rebooted, changed boot drive to linux drive, booted FC4, logged out of kde, and shutdown this time... changed boot drive to windows, and once again windows would not activate the nic, same network cable is unplugged message.. shut down windows, unplugged the pc, plugged back in booted windows, windows activated nic... all is good

so in conclusion its something to do with the way linux is turning off the nic at shutdown or reboot.... soft boots dont reset the nic, however soft boots in windows always work fine

Dale
Old 14th November 2005, 07:07 PM
wizard Offline

Peripherals are not normally reinitialized on a warm boot and here lies your problem - only a cold boot (turning the power off and back on) will clear all memory, perform POST and reinitialize all peripherals.

It appears to me that the FC4 NIC driver is leaving the NIC in a state that Windows doesn't care for at all.

Your solutions:

1. Recompile the NIC driver to support the options Windows requires - since the same NIC works with both OS the difference between operating states can probably be eliminated.

2. Replace the NIC.

3. Just live with it

Hope this helps
Old 15th November 2005, 03:17 AM
rsriverrat Offline

thanks guys

hey thanks for all the suggestions from u guys, i'll just deal with it, its not that hard to turn off the power switch on the power supply, atleast i can have my dual boot and use it too... lol

had i done a little more digging before posting i would have noticed the power off curing the problem, but maybe others that run into this problem can benefit from the suggestions in this thread in the future..

have a good day/night guys, and thanks again

maybe a mod or admin can rename the title of this thread to something like "Windows-Network cable unplugged error after using FC4" or something like that

Dale

Last edited by rsriverrat; 15th November 2005 at 03:21 AM.

Tags
corrupts, fc4, install, networking, windows