Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th December 2005, 04:06 AM
mjr Offline

Exclamation java trouble

http://www.weirdoz.org/visualchat/

i am having trouble installing java for this chat server when i install the java software it work then when i inst the server it says it is not installed what do i do
Old 6th December 2005, 04:13 AM
mjr Offline

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr
http://www.weirdoz.org/visualchat/

i am having trouble installing java for this chat server when i install the java software it work then when i inst the server it says it is not installed what do i do
i meant the java program when qouted it not installed
Old 6th December 2005, 04:47 AM
smfinley Offline
Retired Community Manager

See the (entire) Java section here.
Old 6th December 2005, 07:34 PM
Sulblk27 Offline

Hi smfinley, thank you for the link for the java and other installs. However I am still struggling with this Java install...everything seemed to work until I get to the end...and I receieved this...
ln -s /opt/jrel.5.0_06/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
ln: `/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so': File exists

I changed 'mozilla to firefox 1.0.7...went to the dslreports page and still no java. I restarted the computer (for a just in case thing---although I know it is not necessary)...still no luck....any suggestions. All help in this matter is greatly appreciated.
Old 7th December 2005, 12:24 AM
smfinley Offline

If the file exists then remove it first. It came from something you did or installed previously. (As root "rm /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so".)
Old 7th December 2005, 01:44 AM
Sulblk27 Offline

Thank you for the reply...I did the first command of rm mozilla...reinstalled or retyped the command ln -s etc. it went to command prompt, started firefox...still nothing then I tried :
ln -s /opt/jrel.5.0_06/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/firefox-1.0.7/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
ln: `/usr/lib/firefox-1.0.7/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so': File exists
[root@localhost ~]# rm /usr/lib/firefox-1.0.7/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
rm: remove symbolic link `/usr/lib/firefox-1.0.7/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so'? y
[root@localhost ~]# ln -s /opt/jrel.5.0_06/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/firefox-1.0.7/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
My question is...should I remove one...(still a newbie )---then restart firefox
Old 7th December 2005, 01:53 AM
smfinley Offline

You can have as many symbolic links pointing to /opt/jrel.5.0_06/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so as you want. They're like "shortcuts" in Windows. So no you don't have to remove them as long as they actually point to /opt/jrel.5.0_06/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so. You could change to the /opt/jrel.5.0_06/plugin/i386/ns7/ directory and make sure libjavaplugin_oji.so is actually there.
Code:
cd /opt/jrel.5.0_06/plugin/i386/ns7/
Code:
ls
Old 7th December 2005, 02:17 AM
Sulblk27 Offline

Here is the output:
ls /opt
jre1.5.0_06 libjavaplugin_oji.so
Closed Thread

Tags
java, trouble