Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th December 2005, 09:18 PM
sentry Offline

Wildcard SSL certificates

Hi All,

I'll be honest and upfront say that I need much more education on SSL and certs, so that's why I'm here.

Wildcards - I want to host multiple sub-domains on my domain, can I make one certificate using wildcards to handle all sub domains? Can you please provide me with an example of where and how you would use it?

If I can't use wildcards do I have to make a seperate certificate for each sub-domain?

Additionally, when I enable SSL I always default back to /var/www/html to serve from, what if I need to use SSL in /var/www/html/some-website-directory?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Last edited by sentry; 19th December 2005 at 09:35 PM.
Old 10th September 2009, 05:54 AM
klam2007 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Yes, its possible, however I am not sure it wise.
If for some reason the certificate is compromised, then all your services using that one wild card certificates are in trouble. If you use a certificate per service then only the service using the that certificate is in trouble.
That said, the chances of your certificate being compromised are low, but they are not zero.
JLA
PS. don't use self signed certificates while they are fine for internal testing their use in a live/production system on the WEB is becoming more and more suspect.

Tags
certificates, ssl, wildcard