Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 26th December 2005, 07:56 PM
KalasMannen Offline

Gnome problem with removable devices

I have a little problem with removable devices such as USB harddrives and USB memorysticks in Gnome. They automount and show up nicely, and i can acess the contents and copy them from the disks, but i cant make a folder or copy things onto the disks.

I've tried to run "mkdir" from the terminal, and that worked, also "cp" works, but from Nautilus it won't work at all. It says "invalid parameters...". How to fix this error so i can use the disk in Gnome as usual?

Thanks!
Old 26th December 2005, 08:12 PM
w5set Offline

permissions problem--root owns the stuff
change permissions to "users" read/write
start---system tools--file manager super user mode--give root password--right click the "offending" object and change the permissions..make sure you mount and unmount the thing every time you need to write/read---especially the write -- unmount after writing or it may not close out properly..
Old 26th December 2005, 08:34 PM
KalasMannen Offline

Thanks, but i am already the owner when it's mounted. I can do things such as deleting folders and things, but i cant write to the disk, like copy something to the disk or make a new folder.

If the disk was write protected i wouldn't be able to make a folder with "mkdir" from terminal?

I tried to change the permissions so that all users can read/write to the folder where it's mounted, but no change..

Tags
devices, gnome, problem, removable