Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd January 2006, 11:49 AM
wolfheart48 Offline

Exclamation Multiboot Help (XP Pro & FC4)

Hello Everyone, I have this problem of making a multiboot system. i have 2 HDDs (C drive 80GB NTFS on which i already have Xp & D drive 120Gb). On the drive D i made 2 partitions """D: 100Gb Ntfs & The New Partition E: 15Gb for Fedora Installation"""). I've formated the drive E during fedora setup, and installed it, everything went ok, but everytime i turn on my pc it only boots the windows Xp.
I Tried to put the boot loader on HDA "C Drive" MBR "Master boot record, but still nothing, in the installation guide it says that before booting an operating system, GRUB will come on, and let you choose between windows & Fedora, but still nothing. Can Anyone help me, i've been working on this problem for a week, and couldn't deal with it.
Old 3rd January 2006, 02:30 PM
shams Offline

the timeout to select the os from grub is 5 seconds, if the system has slow booting, the 5 seconds is out and the system boot the default os which is xp, use the first fedora cd as rescue type in boot:
linux rescue
read the inforamtions change to your system with chroot and increase the /boot/grub/grub.conf timeout to something like 30, post your grub..conf if the problem still persists.
Old 3rd January 2006, 09:33 PM
wolfheart48 Offline

Hello Again

First of all thanks for your reply, after struggling for about half an hour, i managed to get to the file named grub.conf, but when i tried to acces the the file, it told me permission denied, I can say i'm really good in windows but the linux OS is new to me, can you explain to me like your explaining to a newbie. anyway, my system is real fast (2.8Ghz 1MB Cache 800Mhz Bus speed with 1GB of RAM DDR400). I'm really confused. Anyway thanks for your support. I'll be waiting some explainations from you. Bye.
Old 3rd January 2006, 11:31 PM
wolfheart48 Offline

Lightbulb New Note

I've read about the permission denied problem on your website and did ok with it. Now i type "su" in the command line and enter my passwork, It's Ok. Now what i'm getting while accessing the file grob.conf is the following:

/boot/grub/grub.conf

line 13: hiddenmenu: command not found
line 14: syntax error near unexpected token `C'
line 14: `title fedora core (2.6.11-1.1369_FC4smp)'

What do you think is the problem?
Old 3rd January 2006, 11:39 PM
shams Offline

as describe in the above post use the first cd as rescue and change to your system with:
chroot /mnt/sysimage
now you are in your fedora system do:
cd /boot/grub
it will open the grub folder, then do:
su
will ask for root password give the root password and then open the grub.conf in vim:
vim grub.conf
hit the i key change the timeout to 30 and then hit the Esc key, then write these to save and exit from vim:
:wq
hit enter and reboot.
Old 3rd January 2006, 11:58 PM
wolfheart48 Offline

Post MBR Error 3

I've set the timeout to 30. Nothing changed, i'm getting MBR Error 3 afterwards in about a sec windows is booting.
Old 4th January 2006, 12:48 AM
shams Offline

ok use the frist cd as rescue follow the steps from the link and add the fedora to your xp ntldr this islink .

Tags
fc4, multiboot, pro