Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora Resources > Guides & Solutions (No Questions)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Guides & Solutions (No Questions) Post your guides here (No links to Blogs accepted). You can also append your comments/questions to a guide, but don't start a new thread to ask a question. Use another forum for that.

Old 16th January 2006, 01:47 PM
melissa.royer@v Offline

Fedora COre 4 NTFS Wont Install

I have just upgraded from redhat 7.3 to FC4, I am trying to get the ntfs mod to work I installed it rmp -ihv (package) but I still can not mount any ntfs partitions Any help would be great my kernel is 2.6.11-1 1369
Old 16th January 2006, 02:00 PM
InKo Offline

just can try as follows:

$ su <root password>
$ groupadd -g 501 ntfs
$ usermod -G ntfs myself
$ vi /etc/fstab

and add the line:
/dev/hdax /mnt/win ntfs auto,r,uid=501,defaults 0 0

501 and hdax and /mnt/win you can set on your own

something to the options auto, rw, uid, gid, showexec, quiet, umask, fmask, dmask:

* auto - means that filesystem will be mounted on boot time.
* rw - this implies read/write access to filesystem.
* uid - represents the user ID (numeric). Files will be present with this user as owner when the FS will be mounted. you probably wish set this to user root (uid 0).
* gid - represents the group ID (numeric). Files will be present owned by this group when the FS will be mounted. You will probably wish to have separate group to control who can access filesystem. More info on that below.
* showexec - makes the system to look after DOS/Windows executable files (EXE, COM... and directories) and sets them with exec file permission.
* quiet - means the system will not output errors when we try to change file parameter on filesystem (obviously we can't do that since FAT does not supports that).
* umask - represents reverted octal permissions that files will get upon mount. This is tricky because it is reverted. So if you want files to be 770 (mean files fully accesible to user stated in uid and group stated as gid options and not accessible by all/others. You must revert the values so it will be 007.
* fmask - same as umask but only for files (not directories).
* dmask - same as umask but only for directories. Note that directories must have exec permission so you can list them (you still can read files from directories which have read permission but you need to know full path to the file).

Note: the fmask and dmask options are present only in systems running kernel 2.6 - so if you are using Fedora Core 1 (newer versions run kernel 2.6) you need to use umask parameter.

don't foget about feedback if successfully
Old 16th January 2006, 02:20 PM
InKo Offline

and reboot your machine, of course!

myself is your user name
ntfs is the new group name for your NTFS/FAT partition. you can change it, too.

Tags
core, fedora, install, ntfs