Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 16th February 2006, 08:42 PM
jigarzon Offline

How to install GRUB without GRUB installed :P

Hi, I installed FC4 on a partition of my dual OS disk (it has winXP in other partition) but I didn't install GRUB (i didn't install it in the MBR nor in the boot sector of the partition). Don't ask why...

Now I want to install GRUB on the boot sector of the linux partition (that is, /dev/hda2) using grub-install, but i have to boot in order to do that. When I turn my computer on it boots directly Windows XP.

I tryied to boot with the "linux rescue" command in the FC4 DVD, which boots ok (it mounts my linux filesystem under /mnt/sysimage) but when I run "grub-install", it gives an error (he cannot found a library or something like that). I think this is obvious, because I never installed GRUB anywhere, so how could the libraries be present?

Please help! I don't want to reinstall everything if it is possible....

Thanks!
Old 16th February 2006, 09:43 PM
brunson Offline

You have to follow the instructions on the last screen before you get the shell prompt. The bit where it tells you to do "chroot /mnt/sysimage".
Registered Linux User #4837
411th in line to get sued by Micro$oft
Quote:
Basically, to learn Unix you learn to understand and apply a small set of key ideas and achieve expertise by expanding both the set of ideas and your ability to apply them - Paul Murphy

Tags
grub, install, installed