Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th February 2006, 03:17 AM
ctduffy Offline

Intel 82801 GR/GH SATA RAID Issue

I am trying to install LINUX on a PC with an Intel 82801 GR/GH SATA RAID controller. I also tried Solaris 10 and encountered the same issue. Both versions of UNIX can't recognized the hard drives and are looking for a device driver. I checked LINUX device driver selections for Intel but nothing seemed to be a good match. This is the Red Hat AES Version 4 release (2.6 kernel).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Charlie
Old 26th February 2006, 11:43 PM
ctduffy Offline

Fortunately, I found my answer on the DELL support site. Version 4.0 lacks the driver necessary to install Linux. Once I downloaded and burned ISO's for version 4.2, I was able to install Linux 4.2 as the drivers were immediately provided. The support for RAID doesn't seem to work but the SATA non-raid driver seems to work fine. Linux installed completely without any issues.

My only problem is with GRUB now and this is covered in a separate thread. Since all of the GRUB commands seem to work, this may be an issue with Acronis OS Selector, Version 8.0. By the way, if you are looking for a commercial multi-boot loader, avoid Acronis like the plague. They don't support their S/W, documentation is almost non-existent, and the S/W seems pretty buggy. I will most likely go with System Commander as that was a great product in the past.

I am open to using GRUB as my sole multi-boot solution but lack the necessary skills to troubleshoot this software (insufficient experience). One advantage of GRUB is the wealth of knowlege on this forum. :-)
Old 11th October 2006, 02:30 PM
bmorsh Offline

Intel 82801 GR/GH SATA RAID and FC5 installation error

I have been having the same problem. But I like to keep the RAID 5 setup on my server. I remember the disk that came with my system had Linux drivers on it. I wonder if it is a problem with FC5 or else. I will try to not use RAID and see if I get the same result you have.

Cheers!
Bob/babakm, morshe.blogspot.com

Tags
gr or gh, intel, raid, sata